Alpha Omega pipe???

General pipe discussion
Dixie_piper

Alpha Omega pipe???

Post by Dixie_piper »

I've been trolling online lately keeping an eye out for estate pipes at a deal. Ordered one tonight that simply has "Alpha and Omega" on the shank and some symbol on the stem but the pics were sub par so I couldn't make it out. Any of you know of such a brand or model? I know some have "Alpha" models (Dr Grabow, Savinelli, etc) but given this pipes peculiar finish I wouldn't suspect either of those makers. Searched online for a good while and only found tobacco blends of similar names. Any suggestions where I may be able to figure out where this thing came from would be greatly appreciated as the seller listed the bit as "the little end" I fear they're of no help either.
I'll post pics once I get my hands on it and clean her up a bit. Definitely a love it hate it type pipe, I'm still undecided myself :lol: .... either way, it should be here shortly and hopefully I can get some seasoned opinions of the finish.
Thanks in Advance!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
DMI

Re: Alpha Omega pipe???

Post by DMI »

When you have the pipe in hand I may be able to help better, the Alpha marque was used by several companies. If it is marked with 'Imported Briar' or a Patent No. it is most likely American made.

In the running are: Linkmans, Hudson Universal, Shalom, Delacour, Civic, Cooper, Joseph Jaff, Comoy-Verguet.

Identifying old pipes is not an exact science. :?

David.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Okay, thanks! It was shipped today and should be here by Friday of next week at the latest (I hope)
I can't wait to get it, although I am afraid that the odd shaping may cause it to lose some appeal when face to face per se.
Oh well :|
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Nate

Post by Nate »

TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Nate wrote:Could it be an actual Alpha brand pipe? With the line being Omega?

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-a1.html#alpha

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Shalom_Pipe_Factory
If you follow the top link to the pipe marking site and look down right below the Shalom Alpha section, there's the Grabow Alphas right there; one has a weird almost faux blast finish with smooth spots on it and has Alpha Omega stamped on it.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Man, you can get answers to anything here... maybe :D
That Dr Grabow with the Alpha Omega stamp has the same style finish, and mine has a stamp of some sort on the stem as well. But mine is also a sitter of some sort. Though, due to yet another shoddy pic, I'm unable to decipher it until I lay hands on it.
Although, the seller said that Aplha was stamped on one side and Omega on the other. Could be a misprint though.
Either way, I wonder what an odd balll Dr. Grabow like that would be worth??? Doesn't really matter because unless it's worth a chunk, that bad boy ain't leaving my hands ;)
Gotta build up my collection (if you could even call it that yet) :lol:
Thanks Nate! Coming to the rescue yet again :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Nate

Post by Nate »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
Nate wrote:Could it be an actual Alpha brand pipe? With the line being Omega?

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-a1.html#alpha

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Shalom_Pipe_Factory
If you follow the top link to the pipe marking site and look down right below the Shalom Alpha section, there's the Grabow Alphas right there; one has a weird almost faux blast finish with smooth spots on it and has Alpha Omega stamped on it.
Ahh yes, I see you noted that previously, my apologies BeatusLiebowitz!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

FWIW, that pic is labeled Alpha Kappa, so that may explain the differences in the Omega.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Pooka

Post by Pooka »

Dixie_piper wrote:I've been trolling online lately keeping an eye out for estate pipes at a deal. Ordered one tonight that simply has "Alpha and Omega" on the shank and some symbol on the stem but the pics were sub par so I couldn't make it out. Any of you know of such a brand or model? I know some have "Alpha" models (Dr Grabow, Savinelli, etc) but given this pipes peculiar finish I wouldn't suspect either of those makers. Searched online for a good while and only found tobacco blends of similar names. Any suggestions where I may be able to figure out where this thing came from would be greatly appreciated as the seller listed the bit as "the little end" I fear they're of no help either.
I'll post pics once I get my hands on it and clean her up a bit. Definitely a love it hate it type pipe, I'm still undecided myself :lol: .... either way, it should be here shortly and hopefully I can get some seasoned opinions of the finish.
Thanks in Advance!
Sounds kinda Presbyterian to me, that A&O thing. Least since Baptists swore the habit off a while back.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks again fellas for all the pointers!
She got here today, and is beyond the shadow of a doubt, made by Dr Grabow. Alpha Omega #138, Cursive letter "A" on the stem, w/ birdseye on the non-blasted portions.
I'll post pics later when I get my hands on a decent camera. Few blemishes, none beyond repair... unless I screw it up :lol: So I will be asking guidance in what "repair" steps I should take to avoid a F.U.B.A.R.
Thanks again :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

That pipe was clearly made by God. His/Her name is stamped right on the shank. Pay attention, Dixie.

TJ
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

ToddJohnson wrote:That pipe was clearly made by God. His/Her name is stamped right on the shank. Pay attention, Dixie.

TJ
Ah, of course! How could I have once been so blind, but now I see. That would explain the winged delivery guy who kept on with the old english talk. :lol:
Thanks for clarifying that Todd. Hey, I bet your buddy Thomas Kincaid would pay a pretty penny for that, hmm..... :P
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)