Cutty information

General pipe discussion
achduliebe

Cutty information

Post by achduliebe »

Anybody have information on what the typical degree of forward cant the cutty shape typically has?

For years I have been wanting to try this shape and just coming back from a two year hiatus, I feel now is the time.

Any information you can help out with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Cutty information

Post by baweaverpipes »

Make a template from a Dunhill, you'll be good good to go.
It's one of the more difficult shapes to do well.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

baweaverpipes wrote:Make a template from a Dunhill, you'll be good good to go.
Seeing as all the shapes seem a little daunting to this neophyte, I'm curious as to what makes the cutty particularly difficult?
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Hudson wrote:
baweaverpipes wrote:Make a template from a Dunhill, you'll be good good to go.
Seeing as all the shapes seem a little daunting to this neophyte, I'm curious as to what makes the cutty particularly difficult?
The cant, the cheeks, the chin, the top of the bowl is not 90 degrees to the drilling, the stem shaping. I'm certain Chris A. would agree with me. He makes a fine one. It's one of my signature shapes and I love making them. They smoke like a dream.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

baweaverpipes wrote:I'm certain Chris A. would agree with me. He makes a fine one. It's one of my signature shapes and I love making them. They smoke like a dream.
This is a dirty lie. Chris Asswith make terrible cuttys. They look more like tugboats. Bruce Weeder makes cuttys, but they smoke like a bad dream. Like a dream where Wallenstein is chasing you through an amusement park filled with spinning sanding discs (24 grit ones, no less), and all you have on is a pair of assless chaps, and then just when you think you have escaped, Ernie Remarkable appears and throws you into a giant vat of tacky epoxy that he plans to use to glue his pipes together down the middle.

*shudder*
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

Sounds like you may have had that dream ...

Really, any dream involving assless chaps is bad, unless they're on the Dallas Coyboys cheerleaders.

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
sam a

Post by sam a »

yep cuttys are deceivingly difficult... i made two miserable cutty failures this past weekend, methinks my drilling angles were off. :banghead:
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip, try one and you'll see! They are not easy.