Built in tamper

General pipe discussion
Duane

Built in tamper

Post by Duane »

Does anyone know of any pipes that have the tamper and pick discretely built into the pipe?

I was looking at my mushroom pipes and the air hole and smoke hole each take up a mushroom, but there are other mushrooms in the cluster that aren't doing anything and they could be holding a tamper and/or pick, so I was wondering if anyone has ever done this.

Duane
Last edited by Duane on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sasquatch

Re: Built in tamper

Post by Sasquatch »

Google "Swiss Army Pipe" and see what you've been missing.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Duane

Post by Duane »

I don't know Sasquatch, I searched, but didn't find any pipes that carry their own tools within them....lighters, yes...but found no pipes doing it. :?:

Duane

EDIT...I get it! You are just joking with me to see how advanced my Dementia is! Well done!!.....heehee! (I mean) hahaha!
Duane

Post by Duane »

Sasquatch wrote:Google "Swiss Army Pipe" and see what you've been missing.
Well, I drew up the plans for it and will probably get started on the briar tomorrow, after I pick up some of those "5 Hour Energy" drinks. I'm going to name it the "Sas" pipe, dedicated to you for your helping me to realize that there is a need for such a pipe. "Sas" may go down in pipe history like the "Oom Paul" and people will always think of you..."Sas"! (Swiss Army Smoker!) You'll be famous! hahahaha!

Duane
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Perferct!

I think it's a good idea, and yes, the Swiss Army Pipe search was just a joke, but I thought it might inspire you.

I'd like a tooth-pick and a bottle-opener on a pipe too, come to think of it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Duane

Post by Duane »

I think this one will be pretty close to it, but as a pipe and in briar of course. But, I'm not sure if it's so good to have the gun power that close to the smoke hole....but, I'll work it out!

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails? ... adgets.com

Duane
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:Perferct!

I think it's a good idea, and yes, the Swiss Army Pipe search was just a joke, but I thought it might inspire you.

I'd like a tooth-pick and a bottle-opener on a pipe too, come to think of it.
Hah! I actually did the search and a bunch of metal weed pipes popped up and they did have a whole bunch of tooling built into them.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Duane

Post by Duane »

Well, that's no wonder. Think of the size of the pot pipe smoking market as compared to the tobacco pipe smokers. I hardly know anyone that smokes a tobacco pipe around here and lot of the others.....and also, you'd probably have to be a bit de-ranged to even think of the idea! hahaha!

Holiday stuff is taking up my time and energies, so my getting started on this project will have to wait a week or so. But, it will be beautiful and practical at the same time!

Duane
Bryan Johnson

Post by Bryan Johnson »

Wenger, the makers of the Swiss Army Knife, have certainly set the bar high. For their ultimate contribution, see:

http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-16999-Swis ... UMFVZZC7CM

You will probably have to copy and paste the URL in order to see the knife in all its glory. Be sure to read the reviews.

Certainly, pipe makers cannot ignore this challenge.
BATFE: It's not just a government agency, it's a shopping list!
"Will write for pipes."
potholer

Post by potholer »

that's just silly

a Swiss Army knife that measures nearly 25cm, weighs close to 3.25 kilograms :banghead:

that's not a pocket tool that's one to tow on a sled, like smoking tobacco in a swiss alpine horn :lol:

merry christmas to you all

regards

dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
Duane

Post by Duane »

I was able to start making the SAS (Swiss Army Smoker) and I figured I'd do the tool inserts before I start shaping the pipe, that way I'd have plenty of briar to play with. The tools will be slightly force fitting to hold them in place and shaped with thumb push-up type openers on each side or a lip at the skin. The holes go through the bottom of the pipe, so they can be easily cleaned out if dirt gets in them.
http://s1320.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 9332564713
http://s1320.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 8168399823
http://s1320.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 4413345495
I think I'll have to attach black plastic or thin brass plates, the same thichness as the saw blade I used, so everything will remain in about the same place and the grain will match where it was cut from, and that spacer will have to be between the tools also. I'm not sure how I'm going to attach the plates yet...probably glue or maybe little screws, I guess. If anyone has done something like this....how did you do it?

Duane
Bryan Johnson

Post by Bryan Johnson »

Will it come with a scope, or are you just going to stick with iron sights?
BATFE: It's not just a government agency, it's a shopping list!
"Will write for pipes."
Duane

Post by Duane »

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
Carl Sagan

Only the future will tell! :wink:
(Wait till you see the cool blow gun I'm making out of a cavalier pipe!)

Duane

EDIT: AND…as “pipe weaponry” sweeps across the pipe smoking community, pipe smokers will become a “very” respected group. No one will tell a pipe smoker that smoking is bad for their health anymore, because they will know that saying that could be very bad for their health. And no pipe smoker will even again be referred to a Pee-wee Herman, even if they say “heehee!” :lol: