Buying Estates

General pipe discussion
UncleDraken

Buying Estates

Post by UncleDraken »

Hello Chaps and Scottie!

Just a simple question. Where do you find estate pipes? I've been asking at the local charity shops but that's proved unsuccessful over the last few weeks. They all say they get them in sometimes so I will keep returning and maybe they'll start keeping them for me. I even asked the local branch of the British Heart Foundation (I know, very cheeky) and the guy confirmed it was a silly question to ask and told me when they get them donated they chuck 'em in the bin. What a waste! I dare not try the local Cancer Research branches!

I figure a bit of basic restoration is good practice as I learn pipe making and will help me start a collection inexpensively. I have but one lonely cheap Orlik to my name!

I thought I might post this question in case anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of. Also, what do you look for when you buy them? Are them some you don't bother picking up?

Have a good morning/afternoon/evening,
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
Ocelot55

Re: Buying Estates

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ebay! :mrgreen:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

try ebay like jesse said, then try craiglist/kijiji or UK equivalent. also briarbid.com is not bad. anique shows, yard sales etc. lots to look for in antique/ estate pipes. cracks and broken items are always a no. just look for anything that some elbow grease and a spit and polish will take care of. no muss, no fuss.
I usually look for something with just surface ware and nothing mechanically broken (tenons broken, bit through stems and cracked shanks. that's why latakialover/George and others have a whole business' dedicated to fixing mechanically injured pipes. its tedious and a PITA to fix 'em (unless you get payd for it.)
-evan
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

Excellent advice, thank you fellas. The one thing I haven't seen in the UK in the last 8 years is a 'yard sale'. Most of the English wouldn't be caught dead at a yard sale but the one's that are inclined to look for deals there all gather in a field on a Saturday morning and flog their wares out the back of their car at a carboot sale! I hadn't thought of checking that out but I'll definitely be doing that the next opportunity I get. I'll also be careful to check for signs of cracking or anything that can't be cleaned and buffed into good order again. I'll also jump for names that I recognise.
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

[quote="UncleDraken"The one thing I haven't seen in the UK in the last 8 years is a 'yard sale'.[/quote]

The yard sale is another one of America's great, classy contributions to the world at large - probably on par with the hot dog. Not that I condemn yard sales, but I can certainly understand hesitation from more... "socially conscious" cultures.
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

e Markle wrote:Not that I condemn yard sales, but I can certainly understand hesitation from more... "socially conscious" cultures.
I know what you mean. I should add that I've lived in the same place the whole 8 years since I moved to this country and it should be understood that this town has amongst the highest average house prices in the country (not that my particular neighbourhood would reflect that :lol: ). So I think it would be highly unlikely for the people around here to buy something second hand or to take the crap out of the loft and display it on the front lawn for the neighbours to sneer at! One would find it far more socially gratifying to donate it, out of the kindness of ones' heart, to good-will.

That said, if I do come across this rare phenomenon, I'll be on it like a car bonnet.

American Yard Sale vs British Car Boot Sale

Brent

Growley

Post by Growley »

Antique shops. I find pipes almost every time I go in one. Most aren't worth anything there, but I have found a few gems. You gotta look in the nooks and crannies though to find them. It's like an Easter egg hunt!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Brent, the only thing I would add would be pawn shops, if they have them there. Haggle them down using what you know about pipes until you reach a price you can live with.

Jon
billiard

Post by billiard »

Growley wrote:Antique shops. I find pipes almost every time I go in one. Most aren't worth anything there, but I have found a few gems. You gotta look in the nooks and crannies though to find them. It's like an Easter egg hunt!
^ yup ^

:)