pipemakersforum.com

The original forum for pipe makers on the web
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ball Saddle Stem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:27 pm 

Could someone give a quick summary on the process of turning a Ball Saddle Stem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Ball Saddle Stem
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 am 

Cut it rough with etch a sketch, finish shape with file, sand.
Or use skew by hand to shape then sand.

Before the battle begins in a game of chess.
"I am going to defeat you with my left hand!" - Arvind Shamji Chheda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:54 am 

Still trying to get that two-handed action down. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am 

Alternatively, you can grind the profile of the ball on a lathe tool. Sharpening the inside curve is a bit of a challenge, though. There are usually several paths to achieve the same result. Some are easier than others, depending on your tools at hand and skills with those tools. I have no skill whatsoever with the etch-a-sketch method on the lathe.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:33 am 

I'm better with hand tools. More instinctual. Working with two hands I'd like learning to play the guitar for me. I'm more linearly oriented. I appreciate the advice Premal and Jeremiah.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:52 pm 

If you work better by hand then do it with chisels. Etch a sketch takes a lot of practice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:25 pm 

Thanks Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:30 pm 

I would suggest that you do it etch a sketch style. Like the other guys said, it takes practice. But it is a skill that is well worth developing in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:03 am 

Point taken Sam.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:20 pm 

I've tried and use the etch a sketch style when turning bulldogs and the like but, when turning a stem I prefer to turn it as if it was on a wood lathe and place a piece of square stock in the tool post and use it as a tool rest and use gouges to shape fancy stems. Although one has to be careful if not familiar with wood turning this method because it can hurt ya. But, I see it as a much easier way till one learns the etch a sketch method.
Sometimes I wish I had a wood lathe but, I also see the advantages of a metal lathe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Supporter

One factor on the etch-a-sketch method is your lathe. If you have a 7x20, good luck. The tiny wheels make it really hard. The bigger the handwheels, the easier it is to etch-a-sketch. On my 12” it’s pretty easy to get close to what I want, then I just refine it with sand paper.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 am 

Tyler wrote:
One factor on the etch-a-sketch method is your lathe. If you have a 7x20, good luck. The tiny wheels make it really hard. The bigger the handwheels, the easier it is to etch-a-sketch. On my 12” it’s pretty easy to get close to what I want, then I just refine it with sand paper.

Yeah, I have an old antique Craftsman/Dunlap 6x20 but, I find it fairly easy to do bulldogs with the Etch-A-Sketch method on it but, that's where it ends.
Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous I'll be able to afford a real lathe. :lol:
I'm not going to hold my breath though. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 am 

Tyler wrote:

Tyler, I have an Enco 9x20. I do find it a little difficult to be precise...over turning, having to factor in tolerances. I also have to keep tightening the nobs so they don't slip when the come in contact with the material. Perhaps I should use some loctite? I have some basic wood turning skills, bowls, spindles, boxes. While I know I need practice, practice practice, there are pieces that I am able to get to a certain point on and then am just out of my skill level. At times I just want to finish a pipe. Here is one piece I'm working on. There as a big pit in the bottom of the stem-shank junction. This would be pipe #3 completed for me. I messed up two stems and am going to try another. (False stem in place). I appreciate everyone's advice. Happy 4th all. ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 am 

LatakiaLover wrote:

Thanks Latakia. I think it's just the way I'm holding the false stem. The tenon is smaller than the mortise. But I'll certainly double-check my alignment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:12 pm 

Ah. I was wondering what you might have done to end up with the mortise and shank on a different axis. :shock: (Shudder)

Never mind. :D