Teflon tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Joe T

Teflon tenon

Post by Joe T »

Has anyone ever tried using Teflon for a tenon? On my first experiment at making a Churchwarden I made my tenon too small. Since I didn't want to waste the piece I just wrapped the tenon with Teflon tape... it's a shop pipe after all. But then I realized I love the way the tenon slips into the mortise. Smooth, with the proper amount of friction, but none of the 'sticktion' that acrylic has, and still smoother than Delrin.

I've never seen it done, so I'm guessing there's a reason no one uses Teflon, but what is that reason?
Joe Thieman
RobEsArt

Re: Teflon tenon

Post by RobEsArt »

I have used teflon pipe thread tape as a temporary fix in the past (come to think of it, there are a few pipes in one of my racks that still have tape on tenons). The problem is... each time you remove the stem from the pipe, you will most likely need to re-tape, and this contributes to the inconsistency of tenon diameter, which has the potential of causing the mortise to stretch, and ultimately the potential of cracking.

Delrin is a harder variety of Teflon, and will last a very long time.

I hope this helps.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Tefon is used somewhat by European makers and Briar Works International (Todd Johnson/Pete Prevost) are reportedly using Teflon. They are touting a mechanical lock as well as ultrasonic welding. Speculation on my part but I would think for the sake of economy and uniformity their tenons would be injection molded. Up front costs are high but the parts are dirt cheap cost-wise and mechanically uniform.
Delrin is "stiffer" than Teflon and Teflon is of course "slicker".
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Marco Janzen sells pre-made Teflon tenons, they are very good. Cost is quite high but very convenient, I prefer a threaded tenon though.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

McMaster Carr sells Teflon-impregnated Delrin.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#delrin-af-(mad ... n)/=utacs6
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Sasquatch »

Teflon makes great tenons, I've been using it for years on acrylic stems. Works very much like delrin. Rough it up, give the glue something to stick to.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Sasquatch wrote:Rough it up, give the glue something to stick to.
This could(and should) be taken out of context.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I learned it from Scottie. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!