Squishing the button end...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Joe T

Squishing the button end...

Post by Joe T »

So in all that I've read about stem making it seems that general practice is to drill a smaller hole in the button end of the stem to make it slimmer... Has anyone tried drilling one size of hole all the way through and heating the button end of the stem and 'squishing' it before shaping it? I realize this would make it difficult to bend once finished...

I'm thinking in terms of my churchwarden stems... when I drill them, the hole doesn't always end up on center, so I just drill the hole all the way through and shape the stem to compensate.
Joe Thieman
sandahlpipe

Re: Squishing the button end...

Post by sandahlpipe »

I suppose you could always give it a try, but I don't think it's gonna work very well. Ebonite isn't going to be as durable if you put enough pressure to flatten a hole in the end. Besides, it will end up looking ugly. It's much better to stick with the smaller drill and cutting a proper slot and funnel.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Doesn't work. It has been tried many times, I think a few have been documented here. Don't waste your time you will just ruin rod stock.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Waste of time! Drill with proper bits.Drill as far as you want both sides. They will meet if you set it up right and make sure the rod is straight.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Hehe... sounds like a few people here have tried it. :wink:

Thanks guys, this is what I needed to know. :D
Joe Thieman