Semi-Matte Stems?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
alexanderfrese

Semi-Matte Stems?

Post by alexanderfrese »

Is there any help out there in your meandering experience how to finish a semi-matte stem?

i do like semi-matte wood finishes, and I wonder how they would look with a matching matte-black stem. Just bought me some new Ray Bans last week, and I noticed they make the same glasses (at least for some of their models) with that deep black high gloss plastic for one and some semi-matte for the other version.

Just stopping at coarse sanding or steelwool polish just doesn’t do the trick. It just looks "unfinished" and uneven.

Ehm, just strikes me: Could the material be blasted somehow?

:dunno:

Alex
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Yep, it's exactly that need for sanding into different directions which is impossible in some areas, that gave me the idea for a blasting process. Not that I own appropriate equipment.
I also gave a thought to the fact, that tooth marks will have another influence, since clenching the mouthpiece will surely polish the roughness to a blank area at the end of a stem…
Still I am wondering why one doesn't see satin-gloss mouthpieces (at least I did not find any). Just a matter of being used to the rule, they have to be high gloss, or is it some ever tried and true technical fact, that there is no other way to achieve a satisfying result?
magruder

Post by magruder »

Two ideas, though admittedly not thought out completely;

1).ethanol bath

2).I have also noticed that vulcanite gets dull when heated

Given the problem of all over matching, some sort of chemical bath or heat + chem. bath seems the way to go.
I think acrylic would respond the best to this approach. Obviously, if would have to be safe in your mouth.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Perhaps some sort of mild acid bath that is thoroughly washed off w/water would work.

Any chemistry majors out there?
magruder

Post by magruder »

Sorry Random,
All my experience with chemistry was back in college and I don't remember much - esp. the work with acid :wink: