Extra bed for my Taig?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
FrJacob

Extra bed for my Taig?

Post by FrJacob »

Has anyone done anything using a second bed for the Taig lathe [not counting the nifty milling adaptation someone posted, but] for the turning of pipes]?
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to put in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis [False assumption: one never speaks with a pipe in his mouth].
pipedreamer

Re: Extra bed for my Taig?

Post by pipedreamer »

By the time you get it all right , you could have bought a decent metal or wood lathe. I got the higher bed, just to keep my fingers out of the process! The mill is cute but a slow setup. Its' a very individual thing. I got a bigger mill and it's so much faster and worth every dollar, imho..If I could do it all over again, yes! I would buy all of it again. It helps my thinking process. Idea, BAM!!!! Bottom line is I use the little lathe for certain stems etc. and a lot of tinkering!!
snapper

Re: Extra bed for my Taig?

Post by snapper »

contrary to everything I read on this forum, I bought a Taig thinking I could turn briar on it. Even had some custom jaws made, which work, but there is nowhere near enough torque to turn wood. It's great for stems and other things I've been peckering around with. But listen to these people when they say "get a bigger metal lathe"