Slots and the differences the make

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
kamkiel

Slots and the differences the make

Post by kamkiel »

I was looking at George's master class Billiard (the second round of photos) and really spent time looking at the slot. It got me wondering, so I thought I would ask.

How much of a difference does the shape of a slot make on the smoking characteristics of a pipe? "Trumpeting" the edges of the slot looks comfortable and is pleasing to the tongue. George's new billiard has the left and right sides flared, but the top and bottom seem to be well defined. Pre-mold stems are rectangular, I hear they are not as comfortable for the tongue, and pipemakers shouldn't make rectangular shaped slots because they don't look hand cut.

The other part I was thinking about was the depth of the "V" or "Y"and the width of it. Do these make a huge difference in the way a pipe smokes?

This thread isn't about how I cut my stems, but more about why other makers make their slots the way they do. I haven't made enough pipes to really notice a huge difference. I don't own any high grade pipes to compare mine with. I have only smoked a pipe for around three years. It is also possible that I am over thinking this, but I would like to see your opinions about slots.

Thank you.
sandahlpipe

Re: Slots and the differences the make

Post by sandahlpipe »

I funnel my slots as deeply as is reasonable and I also round over all the edges of the slot to make it comfy on the tongue. My thought is also that the rounded edges will help distribute the smoke just a smidgeon. I have no way of actually testing the distribution, though. I can tell a difference between a sharp slot and having the edge of the slot broken, though.

Mostly, though, I like the way my slots look and the way they smoke, so I don't change it. I've smoked high grades from several different makers and they all smoke slightly different, and they all have different buttons and slots. Pick a style and stick with it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sandahlpipe wrote:I funnel my slots as deeply as is reasonable and I also round over all the edges of the slot to make it comfy on the tongue. My thought is also that the rounded edges will help distribute the smoke just a smidgeon. I have no way of actually testing the distribution, though. I can tell a difference between a sharp slot and having the edge of the slot broken, though.

Mostly, though, I like the way my slots look and the way they smoke, so I don't change it. I've smoked high grades from several different makers and they all smoke slightly different, and they all have different buttons and slots. Pick a style and stick with it.
Thanks for the reply! I just threw this out there because I wasn't sure. The slot on George's new billiard is sexy. It got me wondering if Chris Asteriou makes all of his slots that way, funnels them down to a certain length on all of his pipes, and the result would be similar smoking properties on all of his pipes. That way, customers can expect to have similar smoking experiences smoking his pipes.

As far as picking a style and sticking with it... lets just say I got a ways to go before I can start talking about the style of my pipes :wink:
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I looked at Chris Asteriou's pipes at the show and only one of them did not have the same button style as the one George bought. He told me it was a replica of a classic and he wanted to keep everything just like the original, including the button and slot. So yes, once you figure out what works for you, stick with it with rare exception.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Yep thats the trick. Establish the style you think is best and do that consistently. One guy will hate it the next will love it but each will know where to go to find it.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I try my best to make all my slots with just the same amount of wonkiness.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks for the input. I'll have to start honing in on this skill and see what works for me best.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

The only real factor in functionality of a slot is the transition from airway to slot. If it is pinched from side to side it will cause a pipe cleaner to squeegee all the juice back into the stem instead of drawing it out.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

PremalChheda wrote:squeegee all the juice back into the stem
:shock: quite a vivid description