Cutting the Slot

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
clickklick

Cutting the Slot

Post by clickklick »

I need some insight here. I use the dremel cutting saw I think its #199, to start the slot. I then have tried two different methods. Creating the Y with the Kemper K31 tool and just using a 1/16" drill bit.

Then finishing up with needle files. However, the inside of the slot is never as smooth and consistent, and the corners aren't nice and symmetrically rounded like I see on most handcut stems. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to achieve this end result? I've tried some various diamond dremel shapes but tend to just bugger up the slot.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Re: Cutting the Slot

Post by sandahlpipe »

You're not far off. Use the Kemper tool and/or drill bit to make your funnel. Then fold a piece of sandpaper into a long 'V' shape that will fit into the funnel. Go through the grits with that and you'll have a smooth slot in a few minutes. You can also try needle files. I found a really thin, fine file that I use to round the corners of the slot. After I use that, I can start sanding at 320 grit.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Sasquatch

Re: Cutting the Slot

Post by Sasquatch »

Not to sound like a twat, but the answer is "practice". You have the tools. Now get the muscle memory. Only one way.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!