Unusual stem replacement project

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
LatakiaLover

Unusual stem replacement project

Post by LatakiaLover »

Unusual in that the pipe is a true giant (check the Dunhill Group 4 sitting next to it in the last photo), and its owner gave me license to design the new stem as I saw fit, rather than copy the original (the original was smallish, rounded, and visually overpowered by the bold & aggressive angularity and sheer mass of the stummel... it can also be seen at the end of the photo stream).

Anyway, the rest is self-explanatory. The photos are in chronological sequence, and were taken at the end of each shaping step. They show the full process from start to finish. Sausage-making at its finest. :lol:

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Re: Unusual stem replacement project

Post by sandahlpipe »

Only George can make a pipe look better than the original.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

How did the original get get smashed up so bad? Its probably good that the tenon broke, button was bitten off, and someone shot it with a bb gun (to put it out of its misery of course) because the owner wouldn't have had the opportunity to get a better stem made. Nice work!

Kiel
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

No idea what happened with the old stem. I think it was bought that way years ago because the new owner was attracted to the wood, hoping that one day he could get a replacement.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Amazing work as usual, George. Although now that you are charging by the hour, it's only a matter of time before some customer comes along and invalidates your signature.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, what more could be done to such a difficult pipe? Nice work old man!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I am curious what you use to get a slight radius behind the button and whether you do that as a matter of course or whether you just did that radius to match the original.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:I am curious what you use to get a slight radius behind the button and whether you do that as a matter of course or whether you just did that radius to match the original.
That was just to copy Baldi's style. I wanted to make the stem look like something he would make if he cared as much about stems as he does stummels, not one that was obviously made by someone else.

The "how" was by taking a piece of wooden shim stock (a couple bucks will buy a package of 50 at any hardware store), splitting it lengthwise, cutting off several inches of the sharp end, and then sanding the desired radius + angle along the intended working edge. Wrap some sandpaper TIGHTLY around it and go to town. Open grit 150 or 180 until the shape is achieved, then successively finer to smooth. To polish it, though, all scratches must be lengthwise before buffing, so do that with a final hit of a 1" wide X 4" long piece of 600 or 800 pinch gripped around one end of an appropriate-diameter 7"-8" length piece of plastic or metal rod. Hold the bare end against your palm with your fingers and "spin" the paper by sliding your thumb upward and index finger downward as you rotate your wrist. (Much easier to do than to describe)

PS -- Obviously, do NOT cut your stem's bite zone to its final desired thickness before doing the above. Allow about 15 thou to be taken off each side by the procedure.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sorry George but it looks like you are slipping a bit. That stem is way nicer than the original even when it was new. Because of that, it's a terrible replication. ;)
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

wdteipen wrote:Sorry George but it looks like you are slipping a bit. That stem is way nicer than the original even when it was new. Because of that, it's a terrible replication. ;)
George, beautiful job, but I agree with Wayne 100%!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Ol' anal George strikes again. I agree with Wayne and Bruce in that your work is not restorative when it is better than the OEM's You're going to have to lighten up dude. Throw a turd in the blender every now and then.
I use the word "anal" here in terms of picky and of course not in reference to an anatomical orifice. :lol:
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Beautiful work. I am in awe.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Your new name is: Magic George: Great work!!!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I got to see this pipe in person a few days ago. The pictures don't even come close to doing the new stem justice....the stummel ain't too shabby either.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

remarkable
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head