why do stems have to be shiny?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have seen stems that are rusticated and carved. Anne Julie comes to mind.

The main disadvantage that I can see is when the oxidize you would not be able to get the green out of the creavases.
hiway

Post by hiway »

Good question. I've never seen anything other than smooth and shiny although my experience is somewhat limited. Technically, there's no reason you can't try some other type of finish such as brushed, carved or checkered. However, I think you will crash headfirst into the brick wall of tradition with any finish that doesn't make the mirror of the Hubble telescope look like a rust pitted hubcap.

Pipesters seem to be particularily fussy about stems. Even a mild dent or tiny nick in the stem may turn a person away from a pipe that they otherwise like.

Possibly a theme pipe where a carving pattern on the stummel is repeated part way along the stem might be accepted. Then stem replacement would be an issue to be considered.

As for me, I intend to keep sanding and polishing like a good little boy.
:)
Dave
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've carved some stems, but they're always sanded, buffed, and shiny. I ca't afford to start trying to break new ground by going against tradition...yet. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I love Ann Julie's work. But I've never actually seen one in person.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I saw them last year in Chicago and talked with her a little bit. She had a number of pipes with rusticated and carved stems with her. They are all well crafted, as is to be expected, just not really my thing. She had some oil paintings with her as well that she was selling.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Here's a question. If not a shiney or perhaps matte finish on a stem, what else could you do? Rusticated?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Runes! That would be cool. Perhaps a Norse themed pipe with runes across the entire pipe, all the way down to the stem. How cool. I really like flower inspired pipes. Perhaps a pipe that models a flower all the way through the stem. Or alagator skin. OHH! One of the pipes I'm working on is a seahorse. What about somthing thhat models the texture of their skin. How fun! The stummel is already smooth, but I plan to make another - namely because the pipe turned out way too small, with a bolw diameter of onlt a half an inch. Ohh the fun!!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Runes! That would be cool. Perhaps a Norse themed pipe with runes across the entire pipe, all the way down to the stem.
Have you seen the "LOTR" pipes that some folks are selling on eBay? Basically a $6 Williamsburg Pottery pipe with tengwar script or dwarf runes drawn on it, and selling for $30. Nothing against such a thing, but I'm amazed that there's a market for it.

On the other hand, a big, beefy, Danish freehand with runes on it would be really cool. Well, to me anyway.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The back of the dead-tree version of The Lord of The Ring? :)

Tengwar, as created by Tolkien, is an absolutely amazing way of writing speech using phonetics. Dwarf runes, not so much. Google "tengwar", and you'll be absolutely overwhelmed with useless information - and some interesting bits.

And yes, I am a geek. I have no less than 5 Tengwar fonts installed on my G5.

Speaking of blondes in black leather underwear, what happened to Terry's website? First he kills Kenny, then he goes and wipes the site! Then Kenny get reserected. Did I miss something?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL. Tooo funny!

There has got to be a dictionary around some where Random.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Blleech. I can't see your private gallery bud. Its private
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Random that is a beautiful pipe. I love it!

-Bryan