why do stems have to be shiny?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice pipe buddy. I gotta say, your skills are visably improving. Keep it up!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

random wrote:
ArtGuy wrote:I saw them last year in Chicago and talked with her a little bit.
In the pics I've seen her briar looks roughly finished, as if she carved then shellaced without sanding. I'm not saying that's good or bad if it's the case, but I'm wondering if it's just the pics or if the pipes actually have that appearance. Do you recall?
I had a chance to hold the exact pipe that I pictured earlier in the thread. It does have a rough finish where the tooling marks can still be seen but that does not take away from this pipe at all. It was sanded of course, just not to the polished stone look on would usually associate with a pipe. It sorta reads as a very unusuall form of rustication.

I could not tell if it had been shellaced, my guess would be that is was not. Again, it is a nice pipe just not my thing.
Nick

Post by Nick »

It would definatly be my thing....its just that $1250.00 price tag thats not my thing. Hehehe.

As a side note, is it just me or would it be rough having your mom in the same field as you are? Especially as small as the high grade pipe field is.

Hmmm, you know I guess I'm not positive on that? Are Kent, Poul and Anne Julie Rasmussen related? I know Poul and Anne Julie were husband and wife, but not positive about Kent.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Nick,

I don't believe Anne Julie and Kent are related but I could be wrong. Speaking of relatives in the pipe business, have you heard of Nanna Ivarsson? Her father is Lars and her grandfather is Sixten. Here is a link with pictures of her work and information if you are interested. She is also an industrial designer and has designed the ultimate pipe chair.

http://www.finepipes.com/NannaChair.htm

Here are some pictures of her and Lars in the shop.

http://www.finepipes.com/DenmarkTrip/LarStudio.htm

Needless to say, dad should be proud!
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tooo neat!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Anne and Kent are not related but her son does carve pipes. More than she I think. I cannot remember his name off hand but I do not think it is kent.