would this lathe work?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bscofield

would this lathe work?

Post by bscofield »

because this appears to be "too good to be true" I'll phrase my question like this:

why wouldn't this lathe work for tenon turning??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=36066
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Ben,

That is a wood lathe. It might work for turning briar but a metal lathe is needed for tenon turning. A metal lathe allows for very precise cuts. With a wood lathe, the cutting tool is hand held and rested on the tool post so just the slightest wrong move would destroy the tenon.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by whitebar on Wed May 05, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

But aren't there tools (I thought I saw some) that hold the tool in place?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Ben,

On metal lathes there are. :D That is basically the difference between a metal and wood lathe. A metal lathe has a tool post that is controlled by wheels, and the wood lathe has a t-bar that you rest a chisel on. Metal lathe allow precise diameters, wood lathes are by feel.

BTW, I would stay away from Harbo Freight for major tool purchases. You get what you pay for with those machines...cheap junk.

Tyler
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Here is another relatively inexpensive option I have wondered about. It is called a Clisby Metal Lathe. While designed primarilly for miniture model makers, it seems like the long bed model might work for stems. The biggest drawback is that it runs off a 12-volt DC power source such as a car battery.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.clisby.com/

Here are the specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Swing: 2 1/2"(63mm)
Between centres: 4 1/2"(114mm)/8 1/2"(215mm)
Mandrel bore: 0.318"(8.1mm)
Lead screws: 1/4" 20 threads per inch
Taper: "O" Morse
Speed: 1500 R.P.M.
Supply voltage: 12 V D.C.
Current: 4 Amps
Overall length: 11"(280mm)/16"(380mm)
Height: 3 1/2"(88mm)
Width: 2 5/8"(67mm)

Personally, I decided to go with a Taig because it was a more heavy duty machine but this might be the right price point for someone.

Any comments from the lathe experts in the group?
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Interesting looking lathe, whitebar. I like the DC aspect of it, because that is so easy to speed control. I would just buy a transformer and speedcontroller and plug that rascal into the wall. However, my concern would be torque. I wonder what the HP of that motor is? I also wonder how accurate the machine is? For the latter I suppose one would just need to buy one to see.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

whitebar wrote:Here is a link to their site: http://www.clisby.com/

Any comments from the lathe experts in the group?
That's an interesting lathe. A 12v power source is interesting as well. However, if you take a look at the movies on their website, you can see that the unit is *tiny*. I don't think the included chuck opens wide enough to grab my thumb. Also, the amount of available work area is quite short. I would be concerned that there wouldn't be enough travel to drill stems.

Then again, I'm the odd man out. I *like* my Pimo tool - as difficult as it is for some people to use. I've never had any problems - except when I wasn't paying attention. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hiway

Post by hiway »

First of all I have to go against the grain here. You can turn tenons on a wood lathe. I do all mine on a wood lathe as that is all I have. However, to qualify that statemnet though, I have quite a bit of experience working on a wood lathe and using the skew. Having said that I agree that a machine lathe will give you much better results with much less effort and I highly recommend that you look in that direction.

The harbour frieght lathe looks very light framed. Vibration is the #1 enemy of lathes so the larger, heavier and more mass the better. If you tried to turn a stummel on that lathe I expect it would walk right across your workshop and out the door. Even if you have it bolted down.

I have a large wood lathe and I have added over 300lbs of lead wieghts to it to soak up the vibration.

Check out the 7-12 and 7-14 precision mini lathe series. These are small but solid lathes that would turn stummels, stems and tooling items. If you google on this lathe you will find many websites with a great amount of tips and information.
http://www.nextag.com/buyer/outpdir.jsp ... mini+lathe
I'm considering one of these myself but they are $1000 here so I may have to wait a while. This lathe should also be mounted on a heavy, sturdy stand to minimize vibration.

Dave