Newbie questions about stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jchamb

Newbie questions about stems

Post by jchamb »

I've just finished making my first 2 prebored kits, and am going to do 2 more before I try drilling my first blocks and installing stems myself.

As I understand it, pre-made stems (like from Pimo) have a tenon already, but it isn't turned to any particular diameter. I also understand that I'll need their tenon turner to turn these down to 5/16" (or whatever mortise size I need).

Am I pretty much on-track here?
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

That is correct. You will need some way to turn the tenon to the correct diameter of your mortise. Some folks have had success with the Pimo tool, but I have never tried one. I have also heard reports that the tool is not perfect and often those who continue making many pipes eventually get a lathe. The Taig is one of the mini lathes that is good for this job.

Another possibility is to order a stem that already has a machined tenon done. They are available from Mark Tinsky with a 9/32 tennon so if going that route, 9/32 would have to be the size of your mortise. Seems like a good alternative for those not wanting to purchase a lathe. If I remember correctly, Mark charges less than $10 for a lucite stem configured this way.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

John,

Now, while it's going to be a great thing when I get my Taig lathe and I can hand cut all of my stems, I have had pretty darn good results with purchasing pre-cast stems and turning the tenons with the Pimo tool...

I generally put a good amount of hand work into the stem, making it slimmer, smoothing and reshaping the button for maximum comfort and the Pimo tool has worked pretty much dead on... though learning by experience, I now turn the tenon BEFORE I put the work into the stem :lol:

And while it's certainly no equal to a quality metal lathe, but has given me the option of turning my own tenons without spending the bucks.

FYI - I use the tool mounted on a motor set up with a drill chuck... that way I can switch out other chuck accessories.

Hope this helps...
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

That's a GREAT help, and was what I was wanting to hear. I have no plans to ever sell any pipes, so just can't justify the lathe (although I'm drooling over the Taig!)

I just ordered the tenor turner and a bunch of stems from Pimo, so I'm taking the next step!

Thanks Jeff!
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Not a problem John... let us know if you need any help with it... I wish this forum had been artound when I first got mine!

:lol: