Acrylic for stem use

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
omar_colocci

Acrylic for stem use

Post by omar_colocci »

Hi guys!

I was about to ask this question in a thread created by Trever in the General section, but I thought it would fit better here.

Trever told us he uses "cast acrylic". Since I'm not sure the difference every process (casting, extrusion, etc.) may cause to material properties (like strength) despite the fact all seem to come from the same raw material, at least as far as I know (acrylic pellets), I'd like to hear from you guys who are used to deal with it what are the differences and how can I notice it in the case I try to buy it.

In the case I find the pellets, can I melt them using a hot air gun and/or some kind of catalyst and use a mold to produce something like a rod with a tenon?
Regards,

Omar Colocci
marks

Post by marks »

I have been using cast acrylic that I have been getting from www.delviesplastics.com

I think Random is absolutely correct on the extruded versus cast acrylic. I have never used extruded acrylic, but I have heard that it will not machine, etc., and is much more fragile and less heat tolerant than cast acrylic.

I can turn the cast acrylic on my lathe to get the correct size diameter, drill it out (carefully), and as long as I take small steps, not trying to take off too much material at one time, everything goes well. If you try to take off too much material at one time, you can break chunks out of it. I have never shattered a piece (yet). It also polishes up nicely.

I have never cast my own, but I have seen someone do it. He mixes a liquid acrylic with a hardener, and pours the mix into short sections of pvc pipe for molds. He waxes the inside of the pipe so the mix does not adhere to the pvc. I have no idea where he gets his raw materials, though.

The black rod I am getting from Delvies is quite good, and not too expensive. I have been getting 3/4 and 1 inch black rod. They have lots of other colors as well, displayed on their web site. Not sure if they would ship to your home country, but it is worth a call or an email. There is no telling what shipping costs, exchange rates, and any customs you might have to pay would do to the cost.
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Marks,

Thanks very much for the link and the info... I'm gathering as much contact info for rods (don't have a lathe yet) and this saved me a great deal of time..

Thanks again!
marks

Post by marks »

You're welcome Jeff. I found it by doing a google search for cast acrylic. They also sell buffing supplies. In addition to the cast acrylic, I have ordered some flannel buffing wheels from them and have been pleased with the quality.
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Yes I was looking at the site... It's good to know...

Thank you again!