Hand cut stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Hand cut stems

Post by Tyler »

So far, all I have offered by way of video and instruction on this site is the process of making hand cut stems. As I have thought about it, I have wondered how many hobbyist makers actually intend to ever hand cut a stem.

So what are your thoughts on hand cut stems? Do you intend to make them? Do you see the value in them, or do you consider them a waste of time?

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I certainly intend to. I have been keeping an eye out for a good deal on rod. Right now I use Guiduci Vulcanite molded stems that have enough material to them that I can alter then quite a bit with a lot of hand shaping.
marks

Post by marks »

I have done three hand cut stems so far, and I will do more. I don't know if you remember them, Tyler, but of the pictures I sent you, I hand cut the stems on pipes 6, 7, and 8. Those were my first, second, and third hand cut stems, respectively.

The stem can significantly contribute to how a pipe looks. I think hand cutting stems gives you a lot more control over this aspect of pipe design, particularly on non-standard shapes. It does add significantly to the time involved in making a pipe, though.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll second the Guidici stems. They're really substantial, and you can signicifantly modify they're shape.

I'm currently looking for good rod, both vulcanite and acrylic. I have a line on plain black acrylic (as well as a number of different colors), and I believe Tim West carries vulcanite rod - but you've got to call him first to see if he has any in stock.

I haven't done much shaping of my own stems, but it's certainly something that I intend to do in the future.
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Well, I hand cut my stems for the Signature series pipes and use molded for my standard line. helps to keep labor cost down.
I like making my own it gives me a lot of creative freedom to do as I wish.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm definatly interested in hand cut stems, although I think I'll wait a bit to try my hand at it.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Tyler,

I'm looking forward to continued updates on hand cut stems, especially the section on shaping. This site is so informative and I really appreciate your efforts here.

Stephen
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

While at the moment, I do a HEAVY amount of hand finishing on the German blanks that I'm currently using, I am putting togther my final workshop plans, and it seems that I will indeed be investing in a Taig micro metal lathe... tyler & John C. has been very convincing in this product.

I'm really looking forward to cutting my own stems, however, I will continue to use pre-molded (modified of course) on my affordable series that I will be offering...
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Jeff,

The Taig is a great choice for stem work. I love mine!

Stephen
jeff

Post by jeff »

I, too, plan to eventually work towards affording the graduation cost of a Taig or an equivalent lathe for hand cut stems. Right now, I use the same molded stems (vulcanite) mentioned in earlier posts by other carvers. They really do provide a lot of extra material so that you can come up with something fairly original, though it is based on an existing shape. The button really is a problem because it is huge, as is the rest of the stem's shaft. I usually file and sand these down so that they are a little more comfortable and sexy looking. I also want to begin adding a signature to them, perhaps wooden dowel or line insert, or perhaps a wedding of the two in some attractive pattern.

Also, for all of you experts out there, how is it possible (is it possible?) to create stem modifications (e.g. wooden, ivory, vulcanite decorative extensions) with molded stems and no lathe. I'm assuming the answer is "tough luck, buy a lathe," but if you have found a way to "turn" it down and add the insert without one it would be of immense help in trying to spiff up my pipes by trying something new.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Use the Pimo tool, make a long tenon, and slip your ring over the tenon. When you're shaping the stummel, make sure the stem in attached, and sand it down with the rest of the wood. My rings are usually square or some other odd shape before sanding.

At least, that's how I do it. There are probably a dozen other ways to do it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Despite the fact I do not intend to become a pro, I still think of cutting my own stems, simply for the pleasure of the conception of a self made pieec of work (and since I'm a hobbyst, who cares about the time I take to do it? :wink: )

If I could find ebonite rods/blocks here in Brazil (what is very unlikely) I tell you I'd start practising with them right away, be it fully hand made (with no lathe :( ) or building some tenon turning gizmo (what I'm likely to do 8O :D ).

Believe me, Tyler, your videos are great and specially those regarding this subject. I still have them on my PC and are great source of "dos" and "don'ts" for the gizmo I intend to build! :P
Regards,

Omar Colocci
jeff

Post by jeff »

Oh, in regard to buying rod stock from Tim West, last I spoke to him ( a few weeks ago) he only had 1/2" x 18" vulcanite in stock with no plans to reorder. Apparently it is not a big seller. I know that he doesn't cut any of his own stems, he only uses molded ones, even on the pricier ones.

Jeff