Turning stummels with a lathe

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jeff

Turning stummels with a lathe

Post by jeff »

Alright fellas, experts, artists, etc. Now that we've established that a used Pimo tool is virtually useless and that a lathe must enter the picture at some point I'm going to need some guidance. I appreciate all of your input on the other thread and my wife has agreed to let me buy an inexpensive lathe (if indeed there is such a thing beyond Unimat's tinkertoy version).

What are some good brands (Taig, Sherline, etc?)

What are some quality and not-so high quality knock offs?

What should I look for at an entry level? (i.e. if I only wanted to drill and turn rod vulcanite or acrylic for stems; if I wanted to drill stummels; if I wanted to turn stummels, respectively)

What are some typical prices, new and used, for these lathes?

Where should I look online or elsewhere for used and new lathes?

What is some other general knowledge that you have that would aid in making such a decision? This is the misc. category.

Thanks all!

Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I use a taig micro lathe for stems and a Jet mini lathe for stummels. (The taig is too small for stummel work)

Right now you can get the Jet on Amazon.com for $199.00 with free shipping. That is an excellent deal. It lists at $390.00 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... i&n=507846

For the Taig I would contact Nick Carter at Carter Tools. (Just put Nick Carter Taig in google he will pop up) You will need one with a 4 jaw scroll chuck and a drilling tailstock. You might be able to pick up that setup from Nick minus a motor for 300 bucks. I would buy a motor from Grizzly or Granger as taig motors are expensive. Nick will be able to tell you what to look for. You might take a look at ebay as well.

You will also need a chuck for the Jet/Delta Midi lathe. On the advise of Tyler I got the Oneway scroll chuck. It is pricey at $180.00 or so but well worth it. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frame ... hucks.html

However, if you where to do your drilling on a drill press and the shaping on a disk sander you could get away with those two and the taig.

When I started out I used a power drill mounted upside down on a workbench for a disk sander.

I have pictures of my curent setup here: http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/ftopict-15.html

If you look at the table, that little doohickie on the right with the red loopy thing is what used to hold my power drill to my workbench. I got it at Lowes. It is not ideal but it works. Wear ear protection as the drill is noi-sy.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

I wouldn't write the Pimo tool off too quickly. It actually does meet the needs of some carvers. I guess the issue is to determine what your desires are for your pipe making. If you plan on joining things for the long haul, and perhaps hope to sell your work some day, you might want to save your money and go for the lathe. If you are just hoping to make a half a dozen pipes a year, and maybe someday you'll explore making the next step, then I think a *new* Pimo tool would suit you fine.

As for lathes, if you want one that does both stummels and stems, you need a metal lathe. While the Taig will *sort of* do that, it is really weak in the stummel department, and would not be my recommendation. You might consider a Chinese 7x10 lathe (e.g. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=33684), but there are some quality concerns that I have heard for these lathes. Personally, I did not go that route because of the quality issues and because of some feature limitations because of the size. The Taig shares the features limitations, but the Taig does not have the quality control issues.

I have gone the two lathe route, with a Taig and Delta, along the lines of ArtGuy's comments above. Soon I would like to go to a big "real" metal lathe. Until then, I can do what I need to with the tools I have.

I hope these comments help. I fear I may have raised more questions than I have answered. If that is the case, keep firing the questions and eventually one of us will stumble upon an answer for you, I am sure.

Best,
Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I would stay away from that particular lathe, in fact I would stay pretty far from anything harbor freight - with the possible exception of hammers.

After visiting a Harbor Freight store and seeing their lathes in person, I made an almost instant decision to go with Jet. Sure, you can get a lathe at harbor freight for $120, but that's all it's worth - possibly less. A Jet lathe can be had for $199, but it's really a $300 lathe. It's got a good, high-torque motor, a sane power switch placement, and the popluar 1"x8tpi headstock thread. Both the headstock and tailstock are morse taper 2 as well, so the drill chuck you buy for the tailstock can fit in the headstock if you need it to, and you'd be surprised how often I need it to.

Frankly, harbor freight tools are inexpensive because they're cheap tools. Their 1x36 belt sander gets the job done, but I really should have gone for the Delta or Jet model.

Back to the lathe. Honestly, I would suggest getting the Jet Mini Lathe (which isn't so mini) and a good scroll chuck. The Harbor Freight lathes look like they'd last *maybe* a dozen pipes. I bought a Harbor Freight 4-jaw independant chuck, and it fell apart after 3 pipes. It is not quality stuff.

My latest Amzon.com catalog tells me that the Jet lathe is $199, with free super-saver shipping, and $25 off of any purchase of $199 or more. So, you can get a *good* lathe for $174 shipped. Add a set of chisels for $40 or so, and all you need is a chuck. You *can* make pipes with a 4-jaw independant chuck, which will only set you back $30 to $60. It just takes a little more work to get it set up for each block of brair.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Since I own the Jet/Delta mini/midi lathe, I can't argue with the wisdom of buying that tool. :D I will mention though, that it is basically of no value for stems. Since we are in the stem section, and based on the fact that we have scared Jeff to death about the Pimo tool, I figure that he is more interested in a stem lathe than a wood lathe. :) Jeff?

At any rate, about the Chinese lathe, it is a sketchy lathe. (Be warned: there are a BUNCH of stores that re-brand this lathe, Grizzley, Emco, and others.) I too have been to a Harbor Freight, and quality concerns is why I didn't but that lathe. I do know of folks that are satisfied with it, both inside and outside the realm of pipe making, but I wasn't willing to take the quality risk myself. I want to work on pipes, not my tools.

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ah, that's true - I forgot what forum we were in. However, I will say, with the right chuck, you can do some pretty impressive stem work with a wood lathe. The tenon will still require a PIMO tool though. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hmmm, so it all comes back to the Pimo tool, does it? With that in mind, I've purchased the tools. Yeah, I took the plunge. It was your advice with a bit of impatience in carving my pipe I began this weekend. I've actually gotten 3 other friends interested in it, so we're going to have a pipe carving posse in my basement next weekend. Although I'm always tempted by a cheap price, I'm glad you all steered me away from the chinese lathe. I guess when I become a world class pipe carver I'll try to convince my wife to give a real "okay" for such a purchase instead of a reluctant shrug (that's always BAD news!). So, off to the rustication finishes thread with me. Thanks fellas. I'll have some more questions in a few days when I ruin a stem or two working with the pimo tool.

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Way to go Jeff!

I envy you your posse of friends that are interested in pipe making with you. I am pretty much all alone out here in West Texas. I do have one friend that I have taught how to make pipes, but we are both busy and don't share many other aspects of life that brings us into contact with one another.

Have fun!

Tyler