Alternative stem inlay materials

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jchamb

Alternative stem inlay materials

Post by jchamb »

I've made two pipes with shank extensions now using "leftovers" from failed pipes (ie cutting trim rings from a damaged vulcanite stem).

I have a couple of deer antlers, but haven't tried using them yet - but I found a nifty source for materials! Crusing ebay for pen making supplies, I found a ton of "pen making blanks". Most are 5/8" square by about 5 inches long, but that makes several inlays or extensions.

Not having any vulcanite to use for trim and godets. I picked up 4 blanks made of ebony to use instead. I also found a ton of varieties of wood to use, and they seem to be pretty reasonable in price, and picked up a collection of various woods for about $8.

Anyone else use pen blanks in their pipe making, or have any recommendations?
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've only done one inly - tries twice but...well it didn't work out and I got frustrated. Both times I used pen blanks and they have worked just fine for me.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Pen blanks are a good source of inlay material. As other have hinted at though, you can run into issues of the material being to thin for use in some applications. Pen blanks are generally available in two sizes, 5/8" and 1/2". Be sure to get the 5/8", and be warned that even then you will occassionally wish the blanks were bigger.

I think pen blanks are best for learning about materials. There are lots of pen blank variety packs to be had. Once you determine what woods you like, it is often cheaper to by a bigger chunk, and you have much more flexibility for its use. You will really need a bandsaw if you are going to buy the bigger chunks though.

As for them finishing up, most if not all hardwoods should polish to a shine very similar to briar. The trick with them is that typically the woods will be more fibrous than briar, and you can experience more tear out of the grain. This will lead to an uneven surface that doesn't finish as well or requires a lot of sanding. Be careful when turning the wood to use very sharp tools to minimize tear out.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You can find pen blanks in 3/4" almost everywhere - though the selection of woods is slightly limited, and I've never seen corian, celluloid, or acrylic pen blanks in 3/4".

I usually go for the "Jumbo" pen blanks from woodturnerscatalog.com. They're usually 3/4" or larger, and are quite sufficient for my needs.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com