A word about Deer Antlers

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bscofield

A word about Deer Antlers

Post by bscofield »

I'll qualify these statements with saying that I've never done anything with deer antlers before so I can't say whether or not this is the standard of what to expect or not.

I bought some deer antlers at a flea market the other day so I could use them for stem inserts. Cut one down in a place where the width/girth looked decent. Went to start sanding down the thing when I almost instantly gagged! The smell is so horendous I seriously almost hurled everywhere right on the spot. I contained my lunch and then did my best to stomach the stench for as long as I could and finished something I can use...

So the word about deer antlers is: It smells so bad that I don't think I'll ever use it again!
Nick

Post by Nick »

ICK! Musta been fresh.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

Yep, that's what antlers smell like! Doesn't have to be "fresh" either -- I'm using a pair from a deer my father got 30 years ago, and it still has that unforgettable smell.

The smell, and the fact that it's hard to find a straight section, makes me lean more toward Corian or something for inserts...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Burnt hair?

Yucky either way. Get a gask mask.
I wouldn't consider working with it again without one! And it MUCH WORSE THAN BURNT HAIR! It's more comparable to a carcas, wound't you say jchamb?
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

Burnt carcas is probably right - it's a smell which is like nothing else, and one you'll likely never forget. I made a couple of tampers out of the the "tips" on the antlers a few years back. Almost made me projectile vomit!

I'm making a pipe with a short extension now, but if I go real slow when sanding the smell isn't quite so bad (drilling will sure bring it out though!)
Nick

Post by Nick »

*shudders*

I definatly don't see any antler in my future
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I have the one that I wouldn't stop on... so when I use it will be the ONE AND ONLY deer antler extension from Scofield Pipes! :D
Clemons

antler

Post by Clemons »

If you guys don't like the smell of burning antler your just letting the best in life pass you buy! Water buffalo horn is another aromatic smell! :P
Greg Clemons
JMB

Post by JMB »

Welcome, are we talking the smell of burt horn or the Water buffalo" themselfs. Never seen one in the wild but the ones at the Zoo do have a smell. lol

Clemons wrote:
"Water buffalo horn is another aromatic smell! "
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Welcome Greg! Glad you joined the group.

The smell of antler (and ivory, bone, horn, etc.) is definitely unpleasant. It doesn't bother me though -- until today. I was working with some horn, and it was getting very hot -- too hot -- and it not only smelled like such things do when you are working them, but an added dimension of burning was there. It was much more intense and acrid, quite nasty. To cool it off so I could work it more, I grabbed a bottle of the nearest liquid... which turned out to be rubbing alcohol. I gave it a little squirt, and, without forewarning, I almost instantaneously gagged. The combined smell of the burnt horn with the alcohol vapors about did me in!

:)

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I need to figure something out... the little piece that I drilled and faced is about to be used as an extension for a cherrywood pipe...
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

I imagine that, if you have the patience, you could cut it by hand in a tub of water. Up here, water is used as a filter, and the smell of warm bone/keratin would be filtered out by the water. Just make sure that you wear gloves and/or that the water is warm!

Outside in a breeze is another idea.
bluesmk

antler:

Post by bluesmk »

Thats right, it's bad. The first time I used it I thought of the dentist! The hair stood up on my arms, still does. I have to plan to do it when nobody's home. Everyone has something to say, and it's not good! Best thing to do is wear a mask, it helps. Suck on a strong mint as well and exhale through your nose.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes :wink:
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

aw come on guys suck it up its only dead animal bone you are smelling!!! sooooooo you want to be a pipemaker huh! hahahaha
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

As opposed to live animal bone, I imagine :lol: ! Smells slightly wetter, and more like the animal's last twelve meals than, er, burning bone...
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Actually, antler isn't bone, it's protein -- keratin, whatever -- kind of like hair. Which also smells pretty bad when you burn it. Come to think of it, there really isn't anything from a living creature that you can burn and have it smell good. That said, I'd rather work with antler than acrylic any day. There are "whew, this stinks, but it's just a smell" smells, and then there are "I wonder what kind of nerve damage this is doing?" smells.