Needed said again

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
JMB

Needed said again

Post by JMB »

Ok, someday I will learn. Always check with the board before doing something new.
I got my Birthday Drill Press a little early, so I started working on my first "self drilled" pipe today. Everything went great at first. Drill the Tobacco Chamber just right, hit the "air hole" right on target (dead center) at the bottom.

Should have quit there for the night. But no I had to do a stem. Big mistake for not reading this board. Went thru 4 or 5 stems using the "Pimo tenon turner" cracked everyone.
So I came to check out what I was doing wrong with you guy's. Low & Behold here it is Dummy Me,
"widen the airhole on the pre-made stems. The guide pin gets stuck."

Simple if you check out this board first.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

It's been about 5 1/2 years now since I've had a Pimo tool in my hands, but I can maybe provide a helpful hint. The major problem with the Pimo tool is the amount of heat it produces while rotating inside the tenon. If I remember correctly, the pin is 1/8" diameter. Drill out the tenon end of your molded bit to 1/8" diameter and about 1" deep. Remove the pin from the Pimo tool and insert it into the tenon end of your stem. If you haven't drilled a wonky hole through the tenon it should fit quite snug. Now chuck the Pimo tool into your drill press and advance the stem onto the cutting tool, guiding the pin into the hole in the center. This works on the exact same principle except without all the excess heat and distortion. You can put a little dab of lithium grease on the end of the stainless steel rod if need be, just to keep the friction down even further. You'll find that this way you don't get those gummy little balls of melted lucite inside the tenon or that puff of putrid smelling burnt rubber smoke from the vulcanite stems. I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Todd
JMB

Post by JMB »

Thanks Todd

Any idea where I can get "lithium grease"
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

JMB wrote:Thanks Todd

Any idea where I can get "lithium grease"
Anywhere. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc. It usually comes in a tube the size of a tube of caulk, though without a tip.

Todd