reclocking a stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
DaninDayton

reclocking a stem

Post by DaninDayton »

I have a couple of old Dr. Grabpow pipes that the stems are over tightened. How do I reclock the stems without having to make spacers? Can I heat the stem and turn the stinger?

Thanks,
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
JMG

Re: reclocking a stem

Post by JMG »

George would be the man to ask about this. However, in my estate pipe repairs I've often been able to turn the stringer/or threaded tenon, or the metal threaded insert in the tenon with a pair of pliers, albeit very carefully to achieve a correct fit. This hasn't worked in every case, but in many. Hope this helps.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

Thanks, JMG. I thought about that. Maybe with a little heat applied to the stingers to help the stem plastic move. I hope George will chime in.
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yup, heat is all it takes. Candle, alcohol flame, heat gun, even a shallow pan of boiling water.

Take care and go slow, though, checking often. Aluminum conducts heat VERY quickly, and you can wreck the screw's alignment if you let things get too hot.

Put some masking tape around the outside of the stem to mark where "straight" is, and another to mark where things are now. Then heat the screw---for only a few seconds if using a flame, maybe 20 seconds if using a heat gun, and about two minutes if using hot water---and using pliers with taped jaws to avoid marring, grab the screw with the minimum force necessary to avoid slippage and gently try to turn it. If no go, heat again and try again, heating for LESS TIME with each iteration, because you are approaching the release point temperature-wise. Again, if you actually melt the stem around the screw it will shift off axis, and you'll have a much bigger hassle on your hands. Restoring a gap-free joint is a royal pain in the ass.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

Thanks, LatakiaLover.
I knew it would be a pain but I think these old pipes are worth it. Sure wish they could talk. Where have they been, who smoked them, why do I have them now. Lot of untold history in my hand.
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

I have an old meer Rhodesian which has this issue and i have been meaning to make a spacer, but it has sat in the cupboard for ages.
Thanks for the info George, that's very helpful. I'll try your method i think.

(I don't know how many mods we have or how often they visit, but is it worth moving this to the repair/restoration section?)