best prices on factory stems?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Pooka's right, Tim West at JHLowe.com is probably the best deal around. Most of his old stock stems are pretty cheap, in the $5-8 range. However, his newer stems are on par with what you would expect elsewhere. They run between $12-20/doz.

Jeff
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

I'll second that Random. Tim West at J.H. Lowes is the place. He has some on at $6. per dozen. I just order 4 dozen.
It'll be interesting to see what Tim offers in the future. I think right now he is trying to clear very old inventory left over from the previous owners, before he brings in much new stock. Right now then is a bargain.

John
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Like everyone else, I recommend Tim West:
http://www.jhlowe.com

His prices on stems are *excellent*, not just on vulcanite, but also on acrylic. I've been vary happy with the stems I've gotten from him.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

I thought Lucite is just a fancy name for acylic. That's what I have read at least.

John
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Ahh, okay, gottya on the acrylic/lucite difference. If you do order stems from Tim call rather than email; that way you can ask him before ordering. He's a pretty good guy; on the level and all those good things.

John
Leus

Post by Leus »

Sorry to disagree, Random, but they are the same thing. Lucite (Plexiglas) is polymethylmetacrilate (PMMA), also known as Acrylic. This material can be obtained by different means (cold curing/auto polymmerization or heat curing.) So, yes, there are different kind of acrylics, but Lucite is nothing but a commercial name (same as Plexiglas.)
jeff

Post by jeff »

Leus is right on this one. Lucite is only a brand name for a material offered by many other companies. It's properties are therefore identical to any other acrylic stem on the market. However, it may in fact be the case that Dupont (I think they make Lucite brand) uses higher quality components that create a better end product with slightly different performance. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Jeff
Clemons

Stems

Post by Clemons »

Another good source for stems is the Pipe Makers Emporium in Phoenix. They have the largest selection I have seen and if you can make it out that way the walls are covered with the display of probably 300 different stems. There number is (623) 581-2500
Hope this helps!
Of course Tim is most outstanding!
Greg Clemons