downward slant

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
John_V

downward slant

Post by John_V »

When working on this part, I leave the stem inserted and sand until I have a smooth transition. There is always a down slant. What am I doing wrong ?
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

My guess is that you are probably not drilling the mortise and tobacco chamber at 90deg angle. if you are making a straight pipe ( with the exception of a cutty which has the bowl angled forward) you want to make sure you are getting a 90deg angle between the mortise and the tobacco chamber. If you don't get it right your stem could look off. I'm far from an expert so if I'm wrong in my thinking please let me know.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

John_V,

I think I understand. When you go to put the stem on the pipe after shaping the stummel, the stem points at a downward angle relative to the shank?

To solve this, you have to pay close attention to the angle of the tobacco chamber relative to the airway. Make sure they're at the angle you want. Also, most importantly, make sure the mortis it at the angle you want the stem.

I always shape a pipe with the stem attached - that way I can be sure that things will line up right. It also helps to have the stem attached so that you can *see* the angle of the mortis. Also, the added length of the stem helps to line stuff up right.

As you get more experienced, it isn't as critical to do it like this, but until then it's almost impossible to shape a good pipe without the stem attached.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I don't understand the question. Perhaps a photo or some more explanation?

I'd love to help once I can understand the problem.

:)

Tyler
John_V

Thanks

Post by John_V »

Thanks guys, for your help with this problem. I think the problem has been solved and I shall give it a try once I can get outside to my bench.
I spoke to Tyler last night and he spotted a few things I can correct. In my original post I forgot to mention that this was done from a kit, so the info on the drilling wouldn't apply but, I have made note and will pay attenton to it when I start drilling my own.