new ebonite sources?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: new ebonite sources?

Post by TRS »

Anyone got an update on the AAP ebonite? I'm going to need some rod stock soon and was considering trying them out.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Anyone got an update on the AAP ebonite? I'm going to need some rod stock soon and was considering trying them out.
Todd and I have been working with Mark @ AAP for quite some time in developing rod stock.
The first test run was a bit soft and had minuscule air bubbles. This has since been resolved and the rod works beautifully. It is heavier and a bit more dense than SEM or NYH, polishes beautifully and is a darker/more pure black that the others.
Your tooling needs to be very sharp, when turning and it takes a bit more heat to bend.
Give Mark a call and let him know I sent you. He's a nice man a very pleasant in dealings.
Bruce
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Great, thank you very much Bruce, I'll definitely do that!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's really cool to know Bruce. It would be great to have a "local" manufacturer sensitive to pipe making needs. Well done!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mredmond
Site Supporter

new ebonite sources?

Post by mredmond »

Thanks Bruce! It sounds good and the price is pretty comparable to other sources. They have some interesting color options I haven't seen before, too. I'm definitely going to give AAP a try.

- Micah
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Very good news!! Thanks for the update Bruce!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Hello all,

I placed an order for 1 meter of black hard rubber stock 10 days ago from AAP. Payment was made through Paypal and received by AAP.

I have had zero response to my emails and have heard absolutely nothing from them. I have tried calling to no avail. Not able to even leave a voice mail.

Has anyone else ordered recently from these folks?

Thanks for any information.
Michael Labo
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I've ordered from them a couple of times. It does take awhile and they're not the fastest or best responders, but I'm confident you'll get your product. A warning though; there's several posts on this forum about their black ebonite and the problems associated with it. I've gotten two orders of it from them, many months apart, and neither has been satisfactory for pipe stems. I've heard that they're working on a solution to this, but that's the extent of what I've heard.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I've been keeping in touch with them for a year or so. Last I heard they had still not worked out their production issues to bring things up to pipe quality. Pens fine, pipe stems not so much.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Thanks gentleman. It even says on their website not recommended for pipe stems. I read Bruce Weavers comments and should not have assumed the quality issues would have been worked out after a years time. Live and learn.
Michael Labo
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Has anyone tried NIKKO ebonite manufacter in Japan?
They are about $24 a rod (I think I recall correctly)
Your thoughts?