First Time With Acrylic

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
NathanA
Site Supporter

First Time With Acrylic

Post by NathanA »

Just a real quick question about acrylic/lucite stems: do they sand/buff/polish/wax the same as vulcanite/ebonite or are there special considerations?

Thanks everyone, Nathan
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Nick

Re: First Time With Acrylic

Post by Nick »

Harder in the intitial stages, but easier to polish
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Take your time drilling - the stuff melts easily, sticks in the flutes, breaks bits. Small bites, and let it cool a little between bites.

The finishing is more work, too. (I think) it takes more effort than ebonite in getting scratches out. That Lucite is some HARD stuff!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Acrylic will also load up your sandpaper, and its surface will melt if you get too agressive sanding it in the finer grits.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the key for all processes is not to be too fast/aggressive. It is fiddly crap, but it's easy to get really good results as long as you don't force things.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

I do the acrylic with sandpapers 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200.
On top of that, gray and blue tripoli. I don't use wax on it.
Later, buffing wheel with rotation under 2000rpm and buffing by hand.
It gets so shine that you can get blind looking at it :wink:

eder.

• • •
Image Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Thanks for the info. One more quick question about acrylic: does bending the stem work the same as with vulcanite?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

NathanA wrote:Thanks for the info. One more quick question about acrylic: does bending the stem work the same as with vulcanite?
Not quite. You have a much shorter window of flexibility with acrylic as it begins to cool.

Rad
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

RadDavis wrote:
NathanA wrote:Thanks for the info. One more quick question about acrylic: does bending the stem work the same as with vulcanite?
Not quite. You have a much shorter window of flexibility with acrylic as it begins to cool.

Rad
And it tends to want to bend in one spot. Takes a bit of fussing to get a gradual bend across a longer length. I try to use a cylindrical object (a cold can of something from the fridge) and lay the stem across it to get the curve... then enjoy the contents of the can!
bootlegbonvivant

Post by bootlegbonvivant »

I know this is an old post, however, I was searching for how to heat the acrylic stem to bend. I tried the boiling thing and that basically did nothing.

Any tips? Thanks!
Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I would suggest a heat gun (not a hair dryer) or an alcohol flame. A candle will work, but it'll produce soot. Won't hurt anything, it's just messy.

Be aware that there's a small window of opportunity when bending acrylic. If you start to feel resistance, stop the bending, or you could easily snap it.

Rad
bootlegbonvivant

Post by bootlegbonvivant »

Thanks Rad. I'll give it a try this weekend and see what comes of it.
Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I use a candle all the time - keep the stem about 2" above the flame and keep it moving - you really have to try to warm up a large section so it will bend uniformally. But a couple of minutes dancing over the flame and it will get nice and soft. Just takes a tiny bit of practice and patience no matter what method you try.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!