Button work

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Charl

Button work

Post by Charl »

I like to keep the button quite sharp and well defined (if looked at from the side, the piece towards the bowl). Normally I just take a very fine grit nailfile and give it one stroke to take the sharpness away.
A customer commented the other day that my buttons are too "sharp". Maybe I should also add that he smokes lots of factory-made pipes, fwiw.
Should I round those edges a bit more? I always put the stem in the mouth to test it, and always take sharp edges away that I perceive.
So, in all, do the general pipesmoking public prefer buttons that are well defined, or do they rather prefer rounded soft edges more?
Will try to take a pic of a close-up of one of my buttons to demonstrate better.
LAH

Re: Button work

Post by LAH »

I prefer a sharp and well defined button, they give me better grip. Most of the pipes in my collection have a softer button edge. Then one day I bought one of Rad's pipes and learned that a sharp, well defined button is the way to go. That is, once all the cuts on my lips and mouth turned into calluses. :D On the pipes that I make now, I shape a sharp button. No complaints yet, then again I've only sold two pipes. :lol:

Abe
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You want well defined, but I hate sharp edges on buttons and the slot. Buffing will usually take care of this. :)

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Agree w/Rad - I try to make things very well defined, but I intentionally de-burr and just minisculelelyly round over the sharp edges on the front of the button and in the slot (actually I work the slot "dull" with 320 so that it's basically invisible to the tongue).

Actual button shaping varies with manufacturer. I've come to preferring a relatively tall but not very "long" (back to front) button on bent pipes, and a less tall one on most straights.

Every buyer has their own opinion too - some guys want things a certain way that other guys don't like. All you can do is kind of try to make intelligent decisions and if 1 person in 100 doesn't like your button.... well, that's better than 99 out of 100 not liking it, yeah? :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Also remember that a tall button can be adjusted to suit and individual's taste. If it's too short for someone, nothing much can be done.

Rad
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hmmm 8)
I was definitely not going to change my style of button! :shock: :lol: It's sort of part of the "brand" (if it can be called that) for me.
I agree, a button should not have sharp edges. I really do not want lawsuits! :lol: Just wanted to test the waters, thanks for all the responses!