Delrin or Delrin or Delrin...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
PipesByDesign

Delrin or Delrin or Delrin...

Post by PipesByDesign »

...so... while browsing for a source of delrin rod (I gotta admit that I get tired of turning tenon pieces) I came across a site that offers it for 66 cents a foot in a natural white color. My question to those guys that use delrin... is all delrin created equal? Aside from aesthetic purposes does it matter what color it is?

Here's the link, btw: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/m ... rinrod.php

While I'm at it... better to buy slightly larger and turn down? Or just buy 5/16? (my usual tenon size)

Thanks!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Delrin or Delrin or Delrin...

Post by baweaverpipes »

If you want to waste time, turn the Delrin. I find it easier to buy 5/16" Delrin from McMaster-Carr.
When drilling, remember all 5/16" bits are not created equal and I've used the same one for many years.
$.75/ft. in 5' lengths.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#astm-d4181-del ... 29/=d2jqfz

Hope this helps.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

McMaster is a good company. They won't sell junk, they have everything in stock, and they ship fast. I'd spend the extra nine cents a foot to buy from them. As for the white, I don't think it matters for a pipe tenon, I think they publish slightly different properties for the white. I have some, and it seems a little more flexible than the black. In the end it'll get stained, so unless you're making a white stem I'd just use black.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I only use the white on white stems. Beyond that, I agree - Mcmaster-Carr is my preferred source for most materials like this. Their prices might be fractionally higher, but they more than make up for that in speedy shipping and the fact that they have nearly every raw material on the planet - with the conspicuous absence of ebonite. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ok, sorry for the dumb question here, and I have looked, but not found. I am on the McM site and there are 3 Delrin specific materials, am I looking for the PTFE version? Thanks. :|

**Edit: Looks as though only one version comes in 5/16": 8576K12 Guess I found it.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Nate wrote:8576K12 Guess I found it.
Yup, this is what you want.
Nate

Post by Nate »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
Nate wrote:8576K12 Guess I found it.
Yup, this is what you want.