AAA ebonite

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
caskwith

AAA ebonite

Post by caskwith »

Anyone here using this stuff regularly? I got a sample at the Chicago pipe show earlier this year. I needed a piece of 1" ebonite for a stem today and decided to use this sample, wish I hadn't now :(

I will admit it was lovely to work with, nice texture and easy to sand as well, but it isnt black, its just dark grey, not even as black as the acrylic I have here, which is a real shame, however the main problem is it's full of inclusions, white and yellow.

They told me at the show it was their latest stuff and they were confident they had a top quality product, I can't agree.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: AAA ebonite

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I was going to place an order last week from AAA for a few ebonite rods. While going through the checkout process, I was reading about their ebonite. The page said specifically that their ebonite is not recommended for pipe stem making because of the inclusions, and the fact that most stems are turned down almost to the center of the rod. The website did say that they are working on a formula that is specific to pipe stems, and will be ready very soon.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

AAA = AAP???

Or did you buy ebonite from a towing company?
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I didnt even think about it, just went with AAA like the OP did. The nice thing about AAA is they are alway there when you need them. AAP never responds to my onstar.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Yep sorry meant AAP. Weird that the guy at Chicago told me to try making a stem from it and see what I thought of it. Seems pretyt pointless going to a pipe show with a load of ebonite and giving out samples if your stock is not suitable for making pipe stems.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I am using their ebonite (3/4") now and will relay how it is. I have a few observations already, but am not through with the stem. I hope to have it attached to a pipe and in the Gallery soon. I will comment then.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I'd love to have a domestic source, so I hope they sort it out. Last fall they sent me a sample of their cumberland-esque rod from which I made a stem. I emailed them that is was very beautiful but not usable due to inclusions, never heard back.
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Ok, local green horn chimin' in here...

What's the hoopla about ebonite vs other stem materials? I went to cut an ebonite stem on my shiney new Pimo tenon tool a few days ago and it burned/bubbled the hell out of it. I know that I can turn them slower on my less shiney but still more impressive and even newer lathe, but there has to be something that everyone loves about ebonite. What is it?

Thanks,
JV
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

JeremyV wrote:Ok, local green horn chimin' in here...

What's the hoopla about ebonite vs other stem materials? I went to cut an ebonite stem on my shiney new Pimo tenon tool a few days ago and it burned/bubbled the hell out of it. I know that I can turn them slower on my less shiney but still more impressive and even newer lathe, but there has to be something that everyone loves about ebonite. What is it?

Thanks,
JV
That sounds odd, but having turned both ebonite and acrylic on the lathe I can assure you that ebonite is generally the easier to work with. It certainly is possible, perhaps even easier, to get a great turned finish on acrylic, but it is rather unforgiving if you get it too hot. Ebonite requires a very sharp tool to cut, and because it is elastic it is speed-sensitive. Too fast a speed and chatter develops. Also, some ebonite is easier to machine, some kind of crumbles and is hard to get a good finish.

Assuming that you have decent ebonite, if it bubbles that means you're got too much speed and/or a dull cutter. What's to love about ebonite is the ease of working and the feel in the teeth. It bends nicely with heat, polishes up well. It's elasticity permits a thin, comfortable bit that is still somewhat tough. Otherwise, it sucks. Some collectors actually prefer acrylic, but ebonite is expected by most.
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Thanks!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Maybe the problem was the Pimo Tool :?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I was never able to get a decent finish using the pimo tool. The cutter isn't what I would call sharp. I suspect that a different cutter insert would do wonders, as well as turning it at a lower speed. I used to use it on my drill press, and the minimum speed is way faster than I would want to use it these days.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

I did make some pieces out of some stock ordered recently. This material still has inclusions, about 1/4"-3/8" diameter in the center of the rod. It is not for me until that is fixed. Too bad, it did work very nicely and seems to have a lot less sulfur content, so I think it will be resilient towards oxidization. The finish seemed to be as good as other 'brands' of ebonite. But it cannot have teeny-tiny little bubbles. Stupid bubbles. My 2¢.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

It's odd, because I have had both good and bad stock from AAP. The pieces I received from them as samples were unbelievable: turned easily, jet black, and a glossy finish. The only "problem" was that the material was really chalky when it was turned...it powdered away instead of cutting in ribbons. They had told me that was the case, and because of that I was unconcerned, and was really happy with the samples.

Then I ordered a couple of rods later, and they came with the issues everyone else is mentioning. more gray than black, and lots of inclusions.

I'm sure they will dial in the formula soon, and then it will be awesome, but for now it's not good enough for pipes.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

SimeonTurner wrote:It's odd, because I have had both good and bad stock from AAP. The pieces I received from them as samples were unbelievable: turned easily, jet black, and a glossy finish. The only "problem" was that the material was really chalky when it was turned...it powdered away instead of cutting in ribbons. They had told me that was the case, and because of that I was unconcerned, and was really happy with the samples.

Then I ordered a couple of rods later, and they came with the issues everyone else is mentioning. more gray than black, and lots of inclusions.

I'm sure they will dial in the formula soon, and then it will be awesome, but for now it's not good enough for pipes.
I agree, the workability was quite nice. I hope they get it fixed as well, their price is right and having a 'local' supplier would be sweet!