reattempting the hand cut stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
android

reattempting the hand cut stem

Post by android »

all,

i've been lingering on this site for a number of years. i've made a few stummels with premade stems that turned out just OK. i started making one full on pipe from scratch a few years ago, drilling the holes, etc, and tried to make stem to go along with it. around that time, someone (maybe pierredekat) had successfully used ABS to make a stem with. i already had some for a different project, so i decided i would use that (plus, it's fairly cheap). FYI, i used/will be using a JET mini-lathe to assist with the stem. ABS didn't seem like a very forgiving material to work with, so i abandoned the project many moons ago and while cleaning out my garage the other night found all my pipe making stuff and want to give it a go again.

what material should I consider using for a stem (other than ABS) for my first real go around? i think i can actually salvage the stummel from the aforementioned pipe... or i might just start over since i have some nice briar that needs worked.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: reattempting the hand cut stem

Post by KurtHuhn »

Failing ebonite (the preferred material that you really should try), there's always acrylic. Get cast acrylic only, not extruded, as extruded is way too sensitive to heat. You can get some excellent quality acrylic rod from here:
http://www.delviesplastics.com

Acrylic works rather differently from ebonite though, so keep that in mind should you want to give ebonite a try later on.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
android

Post by android »

i've got some acrylic from my pen turning days... not sure if it's extruded or not though.

any recommendations on where to get the ebonite from?

edit: what size acrylic rod do you generally start with??
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You'll know immediately if it's extruded. It will grab your drill bit while drilling, and melt away while buffing. Acrylic for pen turning is typically cast.

Ebonite can be expensive, but if you're doing hand cut stems, it's totally worth it. An easy source for small amounts is Pipemakers' Emporium,
http://www.pipemakers.org

I typically start with a rod extremely close to my stem's finished largest dimension. With practice you can hit some very close tolerances.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
android

Post by android »

great, thanks Kurt.