Rhino blanks (polyester)

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Sasquatch

Rhino blanks (polyester)

Post by Sasquatch »

Just cut a stem from one of the Rhino blanks that Exoticblanks.com has. Really easy to work with - no tendency to melt or pebble like lucite can have. It'll chip a bit if you are too aggressive. But drilling, working and finishing were all easier than lucite, and the final product is certainly softer on teeth. I detect no tendency to crushing - it feels plenty strong, certainly as strong or stronger than ebonite.

So if you're looking for something unusual, these will work.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
taharris

Re: Rhino blanks (polyester)

Post by taharris »

What a great site.

Thanks for the link.

Todd
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's awesome, Sas. Do you know how well it bends?

At 2.95 a blank that might be worth trying out. It's sure cheaper than premium ebonite.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I haven't bent it, but was assured by the proprietor that it will accept and hold a bend.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have found that some polyesters hold a bend, while others do not. But by "hold a bend" I mean over a period of a year or so. Some polyesters slowly return to their original as-cast straightness over several months.

It is excellent stem material though. I love it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I was nervous, but the stuff worked just beautiful. Definitely will be ordering more.

We need a list of the ones that don't stay bent!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The faux amber and ivory don't bend, for starters. I suspect the faux tortoise as well, but have not actually made a stem from it, just used it as end caps and rings. I wish I had time to get all the different types of polyester, make a stem from each, then set them all on a shelf for a year.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just blew up a bronze fire polyresin, so that's out.

But the Rhino worked nice.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

these rhinoplastic blanks are what i've been using in my attempts. so far i've only bent one and it's been holding its shape fine for about 3 months now. It was one of the molten copper ones. i'd also say that in my very limited experience with these and acrylics, the rhino blanks seem to have more depth to them when buffed up. you can also check out www.beartoothwoods.com for them. they have incredible service and give some discounts the more you buy. I'm currently working on one using one of the Moondust blanks, i'll try to post some pics soon. its looking awesome (the material, lol, not so much the pipe at the moment)
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

oh ya, i also had a very bad experience trying to cut my tenon into this stuff. it didn't like being twisted in the mortise. i kept chewing it up so i switched to delrin with these. of course it's entirely likely that had more to do with me and less to do with the blanks.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If the tenon's tight, it binds pretty quick - it's not a "slippery" plastic, and delrin makes a lot of sense in this application. I cut my tenon a little looser than I would have done on rubber, and added some wax to keep things a little friendly.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Never had a problem with bending here, mind you the polyester i use is much more expensive. tenons are out though, delrin is a must!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Does anyone know if the ebonite from Exoticblanks.com is any good, aka suitable for a pipe stem? I was going to order some of the Rhino blanks and saw that they also carried ebonite.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I've had good luck using pen blanks from Woodcraft.com.

Todd
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Ocelot55 wrote:Does anyone know if the ebonite from Exoticblanks.com is any good, aka suitable for a pipe stem? I was going to order some of the Rhino blanks and saw that they also carried ebonite.
I wouldn't risk it. PME sells the same diameter rod, of proven quality and a half inch longer, for the same price as EB. Some of the forum members, myself included, have bought ebonite from AAP, another pen-centric source. Because the rods weren't intended to be turned or filed down as thin as a pipe stem, there are myriad unwanted inclusions towards the center. I'm not saying that EB has the same problem, but it's not worth finding out the hard way when PME or other sources sell good stock for the same price.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Their ebonite is fine - same pedigree as the stuff PME sells I believe.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:Their ebonite is fine - same pedigree as the stuff PME sells I believe.
Actually, this is what I meant to say ^
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL that's what I thought.

Actually I was very skeptical too, and really gave Dawn a rough time on the phone about the stuff she was selling me. "If it's no good, I'm gonna burn your fucking house down and kill everyone you ever spoke to."

The brown stuff they have is cool - very earthy green/brown. Perfect for camouflaged Special Ops pipes.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

taharris wrote:I've had good luck using pen blanks from Woodcraft.com.

Todd
You call that good luck? :mrgreen:
taharris

Post by taharris »

Sas, don't be jealous.

Keep trying and maybe someday you'll make a nice pipe too. :P

:fencing:

Todd