Tenons and Lathes...Making your own?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
omar_colocci

Tenons and Lathes...Making your own?

Post by omar_colocci »

Hi guys!

If you are just like me and cannot afford a lathe for turning your own tenons, what about taking a look at

http://www.2mm.org.uk/fonly/fonlypt1.htm

At a first glance it seems to have all that is needed to do the job. Maybe I'm going to try to build one like this as soon as my spare time allows. If any of you are quicker, let us know the results! :wink:

Regards,

Omar Colocci
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Omar,

Welcome to the forum!

That is quite a contraption they have built. It would be very interesting to learn if it would work for turning stems. I know for me, I would have had to buy so many tools to make that Fonly in the first place, I would probably have been able to buy a "normal" lathe. When I started pipe making I basically had a hammer, a few screwdrivers, and a lawn mower. :)

I'll be interested to hear how it works, if you make it. My initial fear would be that the Dremel wouldn't have enough "umph" (re: torque). :)

Tyler
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Yeah, Tyler, I know. That's why I'm taking it as a reference for trying to build something more specific using a two-speed hand drill. It would be most like a tenon-turning-small-lathing gizmo. LOL :D

Just in case you have not recognized the avatar, I'm "colocci' from smokersforums.org. :wink:
Regards,

Omar Colocci
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Omar,

I did recognize your name from Smokers Forum, and I'm glad you're here!

I do think a drill would be better than a Dremel for this little project.

This project reminds me of a jig that is in the Pimo Pipe Making book. This jig holds a hand drill, and is for drilling stummels.

Tyler