Peterson Stem, instant oxidation

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
vasco

Peterson Stem, instant oxidation

Post by vasco »

Hi,

A friend used some pipe cleaning fluid on the steam of a brand new Peterson Deluxe shape 05.
The result was instant oxidation, the thing is almost green.
A few drops of olive oil helped but the stream is still gray/green instead of black.

Current options looks to be
a) Replacement steam from Peterson (any alternative sources, please ?)
b) Standard de-oxidizing procedures evolving sandpaper, it's a shame to do this on a new pipe.
c) Walter Briar Works steam restore kit ????

Any other ideas ?

Thanks in advance.
Ocelot55

Re: Peterson Stem, instant oxidation

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'd give the Walker deoxidizing solution a try. I've used it with relative success for fresh oxidation or oxidation that hasn't been buffed into the stem. Also a good ol' buffing wheel with some tripoli might help.
DMI

Post by DMI »

PME sell proper Peterson stems individualy, and Janzen sell acrylic ones.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

The good news is if you do choose to sand the oxidation off, the bit will almost be thin enough to enjoy.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

e Markle wrote:The good news is if you do choose to sand the oxidation off, the bit will almost be thin enough to enjoy.
That's what she said.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Have you found a solution for this yet?

I do have a suggestion if not, but you may want to run it by some of the others here, as I'm an admitted newbie. But I have used this on a few estate pipes with very good results.

Anyway, what I'm speaking of is to soak the stem in bleach. It will eat the oxidation clean off vulcanite, though I'm not sure if that's what this stem is made of. (again, newbie)

I used it on a few estate pipes I picked up in a lot that were severely oxidized, and I mean bad. In a few hours, they were black again. A trip to the buffer and they look new. I really like this on estate pipes for the added bonus of sanitation.

Only issue, is the bleach will eat any nomenclature off the vulcanite unless you coat it with vaseline. If it has the Peterson "P", it may well be gone after soaking, but it will be black.

Again, ask before you go on with this. I know it works, but I don't know if it's best on a new pipe.

Kenny