Creating Stem Detail ( Turning )

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Mark Beattie

Creating Stem Detail ( Turning )

Post by Mark Beattie »

My apologies if if this subject has been addressed earlier. I'd like to begin creating more details in my stems during the turning of my acrylic. Nothing crazy, just maybe tapering the overall length of the stem a bit of turning shapes into it. I've seen pictures of pipe makers using a 1/4" gauge for some of the work but I was wondering what everyone else uses for the small details.

Thanks,

Mark
Sasquatch

Re: Creating Stem Detail ( Turning )

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah it's just a miniature version of spindle turning, so a guy uses gouges of appropriate size and a skew and a parting tool. I have a couple really tiny scrapers too. But most of my work is done with these:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... mini?Args=
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

Sasquatch. Thanks. Back to bail me out once again. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I referenced the link you'd given me. I do have several of those pieces of that tool set... just not as expensive. I'll put a fine edge on them and go and experiment. What kind of details would you use the skew and parting tool for?
taharris

Post by taharris »

Look up videos on Utube about spindle turning and using a skew.

A good craftsman with the right skew can do just about any kind of spindle work you would want to see.

Also, Richard Raffan has a lot of good videos out. Here is an advertisement for one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC0ki48CMo

Hope this helps. :D

Todd
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Skews are indeed the tool of choice for "real" turners, but I'll warn you there is a learning curve. Be prepared to destroy some material.

A spindle gouge is MUCH more forgiving.

Both work, but the skew has the advantage of more precision. I have used both, but not to the point that I got comfortable with a skew. I prefer a gouge. I use a 1/4" for stems.

Have fun.

Tyler
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm using the small gouges a LOT all of a sudden.

Using a skew properly is hard on a nice big piece of wood and with a large and perfectly sharpened tool. Using a 3/8" skew properly is... real tough. BUT.... using it improperly... holy shit can you do a lot of stuff. I cut shoulders, trim tenon ends, size tenons (oh yes, I put that bugger down sideways!). You name it.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I am by no means a skew expert (I'm barely competent), but I would argue that the skew is the most versatile turning tool.

It is difficult to learn, but well worth the time.

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There is no question that it is the most versatile and also leaves the best cut. BUT.... using a 1 1/4" skew on a piece of 2" thick by 20" long alder is completely different than using a 1/2" skew at a fucked up angle on a tiny piece of whirling petrified rock, which briar is by comparison. Stems are soft, and you can get away with murder as a turner - just don't engage the tool too hard or the whole thing will bounce and that's bad.

Really, if you are getting a good result, you are using the tool "correctly" whether it's upside down or sideways. And turning is pretty easy in terms of thinking "here's the shape I want to cut" and matching up a tool profile with it.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Well, true, a skew used as a scraper is easy to use. I wasn't thinking about it in those terms.
potholer

Post by potholer »

Sasquatch is right ...

the skew is the woodturners equivalent of the plane

bad in relation to the use of a skew is an understatement - ruined work and in extreme cases, i know this from personal experience broken fingers bent chisel and splintered handle, but don't let that put you off :lol:

it is worth persevering with and as Tyler says a really sharp skew makes an excellent scraper

regards

dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Tyler wrote:Well, true, a skew used as a scraper is easy to use. I wasn't thinking about it in those terms.
No I realize that a high grade pipe snob like you wouldn't deign to apply a skew in such a mongrel fashion, but the rest of us.... well, "needs must when the Devil drives", as they say.