Unwanted taper when cutting tenons

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
MonsieurLabo

Unwanted taper when cutting tenons

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I am experiencing unwanted taper when cutting tenons. I am cutting tenons with my Taig lathe. the thicker part of the taper is on the end of the tenon where the draft hole starts. What is going on? Any ideas?

I was thinking, ok, maybe it is deflection so I put a live center up to the tenon. Still have the same result. The piece of vulcanite I am using is not very long, maybe 4 inches. It is from AAP.

Cutting tool is sharp and the stem I cut on the pipe has no taper.

The material does seem to not cut as clean the closer I get to the center of the rod stock. Is it a quality issue? These are the first stems I have ever tried to cut and the only material I have tried so far. Being a beginner and all...

I appreciate any input.
Michael Labo
caskwith

Re: Unwanted taper when cutting tenons

Post by caskwith »

Sounds like an alignment issue, is the carriage properly aligned with the headstock, is the tailstock centred?
DMI

Post by DMI »

If you are cutting delrin it may be that you are putting too much pressure on the material and it is bending slightly, this happens to me if I have more than a half inch or so of rod sticking out the chuck.

If you are cutting acrylic or ebonite it may mey getting too warm and softening slightly which will allow it to bend.

David.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

caskwith wrote:Sounds like an alignment issue, is the carriage properly aligned with the headstock, is the tailstock centred?
+1

Sounds like the headstock is turned away from the carriage.

The poor finish is probably because it is cutting deeper as it goes.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

All alignment checks good. Just cut an even tenon last night not sure what the helk happened.

Thanks for the input. My guess was heating or inconsistency in the material. Not gonna worry too much.
Michael Labo
andrew

Post by andrew »

This sounds like you are using the movement on the turret rather than the carriage. Which movement are you using to cut the tenon?
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Using a Taig which is carriage driven I suppose...
Michael Labo