Churchwarden Stem Overview?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Mark Beattie

Churchwarden Stem Overview?

Post by Mark Beattie »

I would like to try a Churchwarden stem in the future. I have a Taig for my stem making but I doubt the three jaw chuck that came with it will support an 11" piece of acrylic. I think that a Taig Steady Rest could support the opposite end of the rod if I could get my hands on replacement arms with bearings fitted to them. I could do all my drilling with that a shaping with the live center. At any rate, could anyone point me in the right direction? Overview. Photo essay. Description. Sign language. Interpretive dance. Anything.

Thanks
Ironpenny

Re: Churchwarden Stem Overview?

Post by Ironpenny »

Unless you have a longer bed than my Taig, you will have difficulty drilling an 11" stem.

That's my one complaint about the Taig is that they don't have a bed extension option. They're are a few homegrown options on the pool cue maker's forums, but they aren't ideal.
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I'm lost here. Unless the boat left port without me, you can't do this on a Taig. Assuming you can get the rod chucked up and supported by a steady rest, what then? Unless you have a Taig with at least a 3' bed you have a problem. How are you going to chuck the bit and run it in and out of the hole you are drilling in the rod? If you could get it started on center and drilled for an inch or so one could possibly clamp on to the bit with a pair if vise grips and run it in and out by hand. Remember, you are drilling acrylic and drill bits long enough to drill a church warden only have flutes on about an inch and a half of the tip so there will be a lot of peck drilling to go that deep. If you aren't careful you'll melt the material in the flutes of the bit and lock the whole mess together and lose the rod and bit. This type of drilling really calls for gun drilling techniques whereby the bit passes thru an appropriate size bushing that is almost touching the end of the rod being drilled. Bits that long and slender WILL bend with very little pressure on them. The bushing straightens out the bit just before it enters the rod. Another way is a collet arrangement to clamp the bit in the tail stock with only a short section exposed to drill with and the rest of the bit hanging out the ass end of the tail stock bore. Advance more bit thru the collet as required.
At any rate, deep hole drilling in acrylic (or any material for that matter) is a tough nut to crack.
Chas.
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

Thanks for the replies. I guess that might be my only complaint about my Taig as well. It's great, isn't it? Well, I guess I'll try and perfect other shapes and leave the Churchwarden's to the wizards.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I would just get some premolded stems for churchwardens. They're cheap and the chances of ruining a lot of rod stock are pretty high.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I just posted my method for making long acrylic stems. If you're still interested in making your own, give it a look and tell me what you think!