ovalish stem and shank

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

ovalish stem and shank

Post by timothy thorpe »

Hi all, its good to be back!

I have made some oval shanks in my day. was somewhat pleased with them. so my question is i am trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it. Im sure there are alot of methods to do it. some help please. thanks!

best,

Tim
Sasquatch

Re: ovalish stem and shank

Post by Sasquatch »

I just freehand 'em - no point in trying to cut down a 1" wide round shank I don't think. Kinda like bulldogs - just keep touching up the shape until it's not wonky!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Keep turning the stem over and sanding smooth to get a nice symmetrical oval.

Rad
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

thanks guys...thats what i do :D
Growley

Post by Growley »

I've got a bit of a different method for this. I like to be pretty methodical in some areas and this is one of them. I start with a rectangle shank and work the corners over systematically until I get an oval shape. If you take the corners off evenly and systematically you'll end up with a pretty symmetrical oval.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Growley wrote:I've got a bit of a different method for this. I like to be pretty methodical in some areas and this is one of them. I start with a rectangle shank and work the corners over systematically until I get an oval shape. If you take the corners off evenly and systematically you'll end up with a pretty symmetrical oval.
What a great idea.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

yes thats a god idea!! thanks :D
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If you are working with a metal lathe you can offset the stummel in the chuck after you have drilled the airway. The air way remains parallel to the lathe bed. Move the block up and down in a vertical plane with the bowl. Move it to the upper or lower extreme and turn the shank. Then move to the opposite extreme and turn again and you will have an oval shank. Careful layout and positioning is crucial. It can be done on a wood lathe but it is a lot harder depending on your skill level. The metal lathe gives superior control of the cutter bit.
Of course one must then carry the oval shape on to the stem, FUN!
Chas.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

oklahoma red wrote:If you are working with a metal lathe you can offset the stummel in the chuck after you have drilled the airway. The air way remains parallel to the lathe bed. Move the block up and down in a vertical plane with the bowl. Move it to the upper or lower extreme and turn the shank. Then move to the opposite extreme and turn again and you will have an oval shank. Careful layout and positioning is crucial. It can be done on a wood lathe but it is a lot harder depending on your skill level. The metal lathe gives superior control of the cutter bit.
Of course one must then carry the oval shape on to the stem, FUN!
Chas.
That's a lot of trouble and risk (much less hard to understand) to accomplish the same thing as cutting the shank narrow from top to bottom on the bandsaw and then turning it wider than it is tall so it has a flat top and bottom and rounded sides. Then finish shaping on the wheel.

Rad
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Obviously there are multiple ways to achieve the goal. The best advice is to do what you are most comfortable with, with the tools you have at hand.
Chas.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I do it the same way as Rad but on a wood lathe.

You just have to be comfortable with the idea of cutting more air than stem and you MUST support the stem at the tailstock.

Todd
Skip

Post by Skip »

I take a cheap molded stem with the oval I am after and turn it to fit the shank. I then simply match the shank to the stem. Next I make a hand made stem and match it to the shank.