Still on the lathe thing

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
omar_colocci

Still on the lathe thing

Post by omar_colocci »

Have you guys ever heard of Sherline lathes? They are intended for hobbysts and model makers. Is it strong? Can I turn stems and wood on it?

I know it's far more expensive than Taig, but I found a reseller for Sherline tools here in Brazil. I'm eager to receive their reply with pricing info.

I found a company that builds micro-lathes which are far more robust than Taig, but at a price of about US$3,000!!!!! 8O

Buying a Taig from the US is still cheaper, until it gets here and the heavy taxes are applied (about 60%) :cry:
Regards,

Omar Colocci
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I was looking at some of their attachements, trying to figure out if I could get their cross-slide to fit on my Delta. They look like robust tools that will stand up to abuse. However, the lathes appear too small to turn anything other than stems or the smallest of pipes.

I'd say that (price aside), if you're looking for a stem lathe, and this is the only thing available (other than building our own), you probably won't be disappointed.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

You said that Sherline lathes are probably too small for pipes, and what about Taig? I know they have a wood turning configuration. Can it be used for at least mid-sized pipes?

Don't ask me why, but that little lathe from Taig really inspires me confidence. Maybe because you can see every piece of the tool, not hiding under some "fancy looking" design. :wink:

The problem with tools in Brazil is that the country doesn't have the level of the "make your own" culture as in US and many other countries and for the same reason the companies don't care to design some types of power tools for the home/hobby use. :(

Oh, well...I guess I'm gonna start saving money and try to find a way to get a Taig shipped to Brazil in a way I could avoid the whole bunch of taxes......
Regards,

Omar Colocci
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's been a while since I looked at the Taig specifications. I'd be concerned though, I seem to recall that the swing over the bed was fairly small. When I make canadians, I need pretty much all of the swing my Jet has.

That's not to say it can't be done - I'm sure that it can. And a Taig can be used for so much, it makes it a genuinely useful tool.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

I've been looking for a good deal on a Taig or Sherline. I'm leaning toward the sherline because they have a longer bed as an option (I have really long churchwarden stems in mind) and they seem to have more attachments / accessories. I'd be interested in a milling attachment for a non-pipe project I have been wanting to do.

I believe that both Taig & Sherline offer head and tail stock blocks that would raise the swing. After reading about lathes over the last few months I'd say the real problem would be power to smoothly turn / drill the briar. But, I intend to try it whenever I get one. Atleast I'll have an idea of the process when I am ready to get a South Bend lathe just for stummels.

Will in NC
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

The Taig and Sherline are very similar lathes, and both are reasonably well suited for stems. The Sherline is more expensive, but does have more options available to it. I believe that both offer riser blocks to increase the swing over the bed from the standard 2" to about 4". (I know the Taig offers this, as I have it.)

I'll now offer my thoughts on this tools in use for stummels. I assume my comments would speak to Sherline fairly accurately, because of the similarities with to the Taig, but I have never used one. I have a Taig.

Though technically the machine could be used to drill and turn stummels, it is NOT going to be a very nice process. I have never tried it, but I would be SHOCKED if the experience was at all pleasant. (Trever?) The Taig is just too light weight. I have my 80 lb. Delta Midi lathe bolted to a 200+ lb. stand, and it wobbles while drilling blocks above about 1200 rpm. The Taig weigh about 20 lbs. While one could conceivably bolt it to something heavier, I can imagine this causing things to come apart from the force.

I would not recommend the Taig (or Sherline) for stummel work.

:(

Sorry.

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wow! Thats not somthing I'd have ever thought of.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I agree with Tyler. I use a taig for stems but cannot imagine using it for stummels. I use a Jet Mini lathe for that.
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Thank you guys for your comments.

Actually I've never thought of stummels on a micro lathe. When I say it turns wood I'm thinking on tampers and small details for tampers and pipe inserts. I'm thinking working inserts and tampers in native Brazilian woods, but it's only an idea for the future. Let's see how I do with my pre-bored kit as soon as it arrives. LOL
Regards,

Omar Colocci
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Omar,

Ah ha! That makes sense. :D

Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Yes, it will turn wood just fine! I do it all the time. Inlays and tampers are perfect applications for the Taig.

Tyler
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Tyler wrote: Though technically the machine could be used to drill and turn stummels, it is NOT going to be a very nice process. I have never tried it, but I would be SHOCKED if the experience was at all pleasant. (Trever?)
Tyler
Heh! It is, um, fun. I drilled all my stummels using my Taig for my first year of part-time pipemaking, believe it or not. I used the riser kit and my own hand-ground bowl drills, and gripped the briar blocks in the 4-jaw chuck with two of the jaws ground flat on the gripping ends. Actually, swing and vibration weren't anywhere near the problems that grip was (lots of flying blocks). I did get used to it though, and eventually got pretty decent results. I would never recommend this to anyone else though - after all, I originally did all my pipe sanding and shaping with sandpaper discs stuck to the sides of my 3400 rpm bench grinder wheels, because that was all I had. I think most folks would explode with laughter at the primitive shop I worked in for many years, though it does accentuate one point I have always tried to stress with beginning pipemakers - it is not the tools you have but whether you can see the pipe in your head or not, and whether you have the drive to get there.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/