Extra long tapered drill bits

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Sasquatch

Re: Extra long tapered drill bits

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't think there's a "right" way. There's ways that work, and ways that work not so good.

I know what my pipes smoke like, they smoke good for people who smoke the way I smoke. Some dude could come to me and say "These don't work that good for how/what I smoke." and I'd say "Well, that sucks, I guess you better buy some other kind of pipe that works better for you."

Luckily, Wayne builds his all wrong, so I have someone to send them to. :twisted:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'll take whatever business you want to send my way except for the "I'd like to commission a pipe carved in the shape of Gumby" work that you're always getting. You're much better at that kinda stuff anyways. :lol: :twisted:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That gumby pipe came out great, I thought.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

For me there are two things I want to hear. One is (Thats a great smoker.) and two is (Theres something about this pipe that reaches out to me.) Newcolmbe gets a little carried away to most since it's new ground. I've observed that not only does a pipe smoke better with less condensation, but cooler also. Variations have to be on a pipe to pipe basis. How big , chamber size 6 or 9mm filter,etc. In short, the Sasquatch is right. All of my pipes have been opened up,with good results. 11/64 seems to be the magic number for draft hole to stem.From tenon to bit,not positive yet but a taper seems to work for me. Many pipe makers cut what they were trained to cut. Many didn't want to chance burn outs or a client biting through a stem, survival.This is all my opinion and I'm new to posting. Oh well, I still talk to the briar. Forgive me if I offended, not my intent.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Sasquatch wrote: my usual setup is 11/64 airway at the chamber.
That's what I use. I can tell the difference in draw, even though it isn't much. 11/64ths all the way through actually. I have a 9/64ths for smaller stems, but usually it is the tapered 11/64ths that does it. I have both 8 inch and 4 inch...

So, glad to see Sas finally using what I recommend. Anything I can do to help you out in your progress buddy...

Jonathan