Giudici Stem Problem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
ScoJo

Giudici Stem Problem

Post by ScoJo »

I ordered some of these from Tim West. I got some of the 615s because they were cheap (and hey, I'm a beginner), but I also wanted some tapered stems. So I bit the bullet and bought a dozen 617s. I got these because the jhlowe site said they were the same diameter as the 615s and I wanted the same diameter.

Problem is, they are NOT the same diameter. The 617s are smaller.

Have you returned stuff to Tim before? How does it work? Or does anyone want to buy a dozen 617s? I want something fatter to leave more room for my many mistakes (for now, at least).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Hey I got mail back from Tim. He wants me to send them back (my cost) AND include money for shipping of the new stems! What gives? His site says that the stems are the same diameter as the saddles, and that's not right! Advice?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Scott,

My advice would be to call Tim and talk to him.

This is something you and he should work out.

This is between you and him.

Hope this helps,

Rad
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Tim sent me an email last night. We will talk on the phone this week and work things out. He seems like a nice guy.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tim is a *great* guy, and always willing to help. Every time I call him, I end up shooting the breeze for half an hour. I can't imagine he has much time to make pipes if he keeps fielding phone calls. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Wow, Kurt. A 30-min phone call with Tim is a rarity indeed! The first time I called him to place an order (last January for my first briar blocks) I ended up hanging up with a larger order than I had anticipated, a headfull of new tips and info, and 2 hours gone from my day! I've talked to him several times and have never spent less than an hour on the phone. He is indeed a great guy.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I know how that goes! I end up ordering about twice what I think I need, some stuff I'd never heard of before, and geegaws that sounded like a good idea at the time. Those 30 minute phone calls are usually the ones where a kid is standing next to me saying something about lunch or snack time. Other than that, who knows how long the call might last. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com