Tenons

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Cory

Tenons

Post by Cory »

I am having approximately 0 luck with making tenons with no lathe and no tenon cutter. I tried a plug cutter, but it just doesn't work.

So, I decided Delrin/Acetal tenons would probably be the best way to go. Was I right in assuming so? I ordered some rods off of eBay for $15 (10 feet), so too late if I was wrong haha.

But, aside from the rambling, I have a real question. What kind of epoxy/glue is food/heat safe and inert when dry?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: Tenons

Post by jogilli »

The answer to your question is just epoxy.. I use 5-minute epoxy.. but in regards to the tenons.. just keep trying.. it must be super hard with not lathe.. If I'm not mistaken.. DMI posted a tool that might do you some good... it looks like a big clothes click that has been drilled to size and sandpaper put in on each side.. .. you apparently just clamp it down on the tenon to get it round.. good idea.. just never tried it..

sharpen your tools and be very very careful..
Cory

Post by Cory »

jogilli wrote:The answer to your question is just epoxy.. I use 5-minute epoxy.. but in regards to the tenons.. just keep trying.. it must be super hard with not lathe.. If I'm not mistaken.. DMI posted a tool that might do you some good... it looks like a big clothes click that has been drilled to size and sandpaper put in on each side.. .. you apparently just clamp it down on the tenon to get it round.. good idea.. just never tried it..

sharpen your tools and be very very careful..
Yea, it is pretty difficult. I actually successfully completed one, but ended up breaking it off inside the shank. Go me...

I found that sanding/grinding down the general shape and then rotating sandpaper around it to finish it and get it circular is the best method, but the worst part is getting the face of the stem flat. With a Delrin, both the tenon issue and the surfacing/facing issue are solved.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Delrin is awesome but has challenges of its own. I have a hard time getting a hole centered going through the entire length of the material I need. I must have screwed up about a foot of delrin the other day. If anyone has any tips I'd be happy to hear them.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote:Delrin is awesome but has challenges of its own. I have a hard time getting a hole centered going through the entire length of the material I need. I must have screwed up about a foot of delrin the other day. If anyone has any tips I'd be happy to hear them.
Agreed, for some reason I am challenged in that regard. I guess the chuck I am using to try to center the stem for drilling to accept the delrin just ain't working!

I have the PIMO cheapo tenon turner and although it doesn't do a great job, it does okay.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm going to channel Rad here, if only to paraphrase:
"Anyone who is really serious about pipemaking needs a lathe."

You can get by with a drill press for a period of time, but eventually you're going to need a lathe in order to take your work to the next level. Whether it's wood or metal is up to you, but a lathe is pretty much necessary if you hope to sell.

That said, if you're not getting a consistent hole in delrin AND you're using a lathe to drill, something is seriously wrong - either your drill bit is horrendously dull, you didn't face things before trying to drill, or your lathe is off center. Faced delrin stock typically drills like butter. LIKE BUTTAH!!

If you describe your process, perhaps someone can help fix the results.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ocelot55 wrote:Delrin is awesome but has challenges of its own. I have a hard time getting a hole centered going through the entire length of the material I need. I must have screwed up about a foot of delrin the other day. If anyone has any tips I'd be happy to hear them.
The entire length being what, an inch? Cuz if it's more than an inch or two, you are doing things wrong.

Put the rod or stem in a vise. Put the vise under the drill press and lock it in position.

Face the stem with a forstner.

Drill a hole for the delrin.

Cut a piece of delrin.

Glue it into the hole.

Drill the airway.

Never move the stem in all this.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

A pen vise works excellently for drilling stems on a drill press. And, if you buy a nice one, you only have to center it once and it's good to go until you move it. Even if your stems or blank material are different sizes, you'll still hit square on the center.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200436 ... -vise.aspx

I like Sas's method myself, eliminates a lot of possible errors.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Gee Sas, you really made me have one of those face-palm moments... :notworthy:

I'm not the best technical mind around. Honestly I suck technical side of pipe making. I won't say I'm better at the artistic side (I'd like to think so but my work suggests otherwise), but I do enjoy the art side a lot more.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Also if you're stuck using a drill press, a clamp such as this http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsma ... ab=details works wonders for drilling delrin. There is a v slot machined into the one side of the clamp which runs perpendicular to your drill press table. Delrin slots in here straight up n' down and can be clamped tight. Then, all you have to do, is face the delrin and clamp dead center. Then drill away.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Cory

Post by Cory »

Sas' method has worked wonders for me. Brilliant!

As long as you clamp your stem straight, it comes out perfect every time.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

yep..the jet lathe was the best thing i ever bought!!