Back and forth oscillations on my grinder.

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
The Smoking Yeti

Back and forth oscillations on my grinder.

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Hey, so I got a new affordable 8" bench grinder from woodcraft, the thing got here, and I set it up and turned it on. The issue is the wheels oscillate back and forth as they spin, the grinder gave some instructions on how to rotate the flange wheels to neutralize this occurrence, but it isn't working. I can't get the wheels to run true. I checked and the shaft itself is running true, so its the wheel alignment itself thats screwed up. I checked for burs on the shoulders and found none- anyone have some tips for fixing this?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
taharris

Re: Back and forth oscillations on my grinder.

Post by taharris »

I can give you a tip based on my limited experience.

The wheels don't always fit square on the shaft so you have to fiddle with them a little bit.
Remember that the wheel is rotating against the nut, so the nut doesn't have to be very tight.
In fact, I understand that it should not be tight.

Loosen the nut and rotate the wheel on the shaft until it is as centered as possible and wobble is minimized and then tighten up the nut only slightly more than hand tight.

Then you will need to dress your wheel to get it perfectly circular. After you have done that stop screwing with it.
The side of the wheel does not have to run true because you should never use the side of the wheel or you risk a catastrophic failure.

Hope this helps.
Todd
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Back and forth oscillations on my grinder.

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Alright! Thanks man! I'll get this bad boy sorted out today/tomorrow! Now I just need to go get a wheel dresser.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/