Bending

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Sasquatch

Re: Bending

Post by Sasquatch »

Personal preference. Based on "what works".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

buster wrote:Thanks again for all the help. This discussion brings up another question. I notice some of you sand your stems to 400-500 then buff, and a lot of others go to 1000+. From what I have read on here I though it was pointless to go past 400-500 because the tripoli is a similar grit. Personal preference? Confused again.
I think the issue here is that not all wheels, buffing compound, or sandpaper were created equal. Add in buffing wheel speed, and buffing and sanding technique, and I think you can understand why everyone has a different opinion.

The bottom line is everyone wants shiny scratch-free stems. It's possible to only sand to 400 and get that result, but not for everyone. If you have crappy brown tripoli you will need to sand to a higher grit. How do I know? I had to myself for years. I bought new compound eventually and nearly pooped my pants at the difference. Was I doing it "wrong" before? Call it what you want. There was a better, faster, more fun way of accomplishing the same result, and I'll never look back.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wdteipen wrote: what fun would this forum be if us newbie jackholes all just agreed with you and Todd and kissed your asses all the time.
That would be awesome!

Rad
buster

Post by buster »

I agree with Rad. He's one of the most helpful, kind, experienced professionals on this board and deserves nothing but respect from all of us. How was that?
Alden

Post by Alden »

buster wrote:I agree with Rad. He's one of the most helpful, kind, experienced professionals on this board and deserves nothing but respect from all of us. How was that?
I'm sure Rad agrees with you...
buster

Post by buster »

He's so cool!
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

Tyler wrote:
buster wrote:Thanks again for all the help. This discussion brings up another question. I notice some of you sand your stems to 400-500 then buff, and a lot of others go to 1000+. From what I have read on here I though it was pointless to go past 400-500 because the tripoli is a similar grit. Personal preference? Confused again.
I think the issue here is that not all wheels, buffing compound, or sandpaper were created equal. Add in buffing wheel speed, and buffing and sanding technique, and I think you can understand why everyone has a different opinion.

The bottom line is everyone wants shiny scratch-free stems. It's possible to only sand to 400 and get that result, but not for everyone. If you have crappy brown tripoli you will need to sand to a higher grit. How do I know? I had to myself for years. I bought new compound eventually and nearly pooped my pants at the difference. Was I doing it "wrong" before? Call it what you want. There was a better, faster, more fun way of accomplishing the same result, and I'll never look back.

what kind of pants pooping brown tripoli do you use? mine doesn't seem that great by comparison it's $4 for a bar at the hardware store not sure what brand
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I got a huge bar from PME and it was pants-pooping better than the stuff I had before.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote:I got a huge bar from PME and it was pants-pooping better than the stuff I had before.
You guys leave Tyler alone or I'll beat you up. He'd do it himself, except he has a reputation to maintain. I dont have those limitations :twisted:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:I got a huge bar from PME and it was pants-pooping better than the stuff I had before.
See? I'm serious. You gotta be careful when you get the good stuff.

I won't tell what it is though out of concern for the underwear of the world.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I'm uncomfortable about us talking about brown bars and pants pooping in the same breath.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I upgraded to the Denver Hayes U35 Boxer Briefs so I'm good.
Alden

Post by Alden »

buster wrote:I agree with Rad. He's one of the most helpful, kind, experienced professionals on this board and deserves nothing but respect from all of us. How was that?
Alden wrote:
You guys leave Tyler alone or I'll beat you up. He'd do it himself, except he has a reputation to maintain.
Tyler wrote:
I won't tell what it is though out of concern for the underwear of the world.

See dude, flattery won't get you anywhere around here :lol:

Occasionally Insults will.