First shot at a hand-cut stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bbeberle

First shot at a hand-cut stem

Post by bbeberle »

Well actually it's my second shot. The first try was a massively huge monster fail haha. So I gave it another shot and this is where I am at....

I feel like i've already screwed it up. The transition from the stem to the shank is a hot hot mess. I am pretty sure the button is to big and the body of the stem seems way to "fat". I am a little afraid to go any more skinny for fear of hitting the air hole. I did not think stem work would give me such a challenge...I LOVE IT! haha. I don't care if I have to spend 1,000 dollars on rodstock to get it right, I will get it right. Tomorrow night I am going to make this stem my ****. On the other hand, if I fail again, I will be a little sad...I got a great looking poker with a dwindling shank that will be stemless :( If y'all have an suggestion or red flags please let me know :) Will keep yall posted.
caskwith

Re: First shot at a hand-cut stem

Post by caskwith »

You are off to a good start by the looks of it, you just need to remove about 75% of what is there. That stems looks like one of mine about 50mins after it comes off the lathe, rough shaped with a general idea of the saddle area and the button. Now the work starts to make the thing comfortable. Don't fret too much about cutting into the airway, if the airway is drilled right and you take material evenly from both sides of the stem you should be fine. Conventional wisdom is the button area needs to be somewhere around the 4mm mark, don't aim for this yet, 6mm is still plenty comfortable and much less scary so make a few like that until you feel happy then start going lower.
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Thanks for the feed back. It was drilled by Tyler so it was drilling right. I will keep plugging away and update again tonight. Thanks for the positive feedback!
the rev

Post by the rev »

dude, you are awesome. Just jump in with both feet, don't even test the water for temperature or even sharks... I like it. Will be fun progressing with you.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

the rev wrote:dude, you are awesome. Just jump in with both feet, don't even test the water for temperature or even sharks... I like it. Will be fun progressing with you.

rev
Your the man Rev, we will be attending pipes shows before you know it, mark my words!
the rev

Post by the rev »

I will be attending a pipe show this weekend.

The question is, when will you and I be featured artists :)

"you've got to play this game with fear and arrogance" Crash Davis

:)

rev

bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

the rev wrote:I will be attending a pipe show this weekend.

The question is, when will you and I be featured artists :)

"you've got to play this game with fear and arrogance" Crash Davis

:)

rev
Not for a WHILE brother haha. I still have a ton to learn. I do like the idea of going to a pipe show, showing off my work, etc. Baby steps...first I have to stop breaking stems LMAO
the rev

Post by the rev »

oh I am just going to look at other peoples work. Rad is gonna be there for one.

I reckon I am a fair ways off from getting a table if ever. I am gonna be embarrassed just showing my pipes to the pros this weekend

rev

bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

the rev wrote:oh I am just going to look at other peoples work. Rad is gonna be there for one.

I reckon I am a fair ways off from getting a table if ever. I am gonna be embarrassed just showing my pipes to the pros this weekend

rev
How do you get a table anyways? can you not just show up and be like, here is my table and my pipes.
the rev

Post by the rev »

You have to reserve a table and pay for it. It's like renting a small booth at the farmers market

Rev

bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

the rev wrote:You have to reserve a table and pay for it. It's like renting a small booth at the farmers market

Rev
Oh ok, how many pipes have you made so far rev? I got my second one finished minus the stem, waiting on more wood to come in before I can keep going.
the rev

Post by the rev »

I am working on 10,11,12 and 13 right now. But I made my first 5 pipes with no instruction whatsoever, and most of the ones after have been people wanting me to copy one of the original 5 so... I am pretty much at the same place you are.

rev

bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

the rev wrote:I am working on 10,11,12 and 13 right now. But I made my first 5 pipes with no instruction whatsoever, and most of the ones after have been people wanting me to copy one of the original 5 so... I am pretty much at the same place you are.

rev
Ya no your not, you are far beyond me good sir lol. I am still working on my second. I may have Tyler here as a guide when I need it but I doubt I could pull off a better looking blowfish than what you produced lol.