What about a "mini pen lathe"?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Will_Branch

What about a "mini pen lathe"?

Post by Will_Branch »

Has anyone used a "mini pen lathe" for stem turning? I know Jet makes one... It's a really small lathe made for hobby pen turners to turn their wood blanks on. I have seen them for around $130 new.

* Features 1/12 HP, 60 watt motor
* Center-tension drive pulley and grooved belt design transfers maximum power at both speeds (1,600 and 3,000 RPM's)

There is no chuck (but looks like you could put one on)... Would you have to have a chuck for stems on this thing?

Maybe it would be a better option than a PIMO tool, but not as precise as a Taig or Sherline?

If I had a good idea this would work for turning the pre-cast bit tenions and maybe turning bits from rod - just to be able get some bits in my bowls - I might do it. That would free up some funds to go toward a South Bend lathe.

What do you think?

Will
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Will,

Do you have a link to one?

Tyler
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

Here is a link - looks like it has the most detailed info on it...

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_de ... &sid=AFE50
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have seen those before but for what you would need to do with stems I do not think it would be sufficient. You really need a small metal lathe that has a tool holder and carriage that you can adjust in very small increments. The reason for this is, you need the tenon to be a very accurate size and facing off any pieces used for inlay would be much easier. Also, with the slowest speed on that lathe being 1600 rpm, you would burn the vulcanite or melt the acrylic during drilling.

If one had a lot of experience in wood turning or pen making they may be able to do the job with that lathe. But, if not, I would imagine it would be a long and tedious process to get a proper tenon fit.

I and many other pipe carvers use a Taig Micro lathe for stem work. Though more expensive than the lathe you asked about, it is a very nice lathe for the money. Here is a link to a site that gives you the low down on it.....

http://www.cartertools.com/
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

Thanks John...

After reading your post and thinking.... I was not considering what I needed to get the tenon cut precisely. I should have thought a bit more before posting.

I'm trying to snipe a good Taig or Sherline from eBay... I let some go by because they were going too high - they were getting close to a used South Bend lathe I have found.

Thanks,
Will
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

If you can get a used south bend in good shape that would be great. I had a chance at one for 500 bucks and passed. I could kick myself for it.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I agree with John's assessment.
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

Thanks for the advice guys. I snipped a Sherline Lathe off eBay tonight... Should have it in about a week or so.

Maybe sometime this summer I can swing the South Bend. I found a guy with an older 9" - long bed with just a 3 jaw chuck asking $600 firm. Another guys has a 13" regular bed with almost every possible attachment and it is one where you don't have to switch out the gears - but it is 3 phase witha converter to go to 2 phase. I'm not sure the wood frame floor in my building will stand that... He is wanting $1200 firm...

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have questions about turning tenons when I get the Sherline.

Will