RPM for turning Lucite/Acrylic

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Bobostro61

RPM for turning Lucite/Acrylic

Post by Bobostro61 »

I searched and read a ton of posts on acrylic and lucite. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see in any of them the suggested RPM's for turning a piece of lucite on a lathe to round it. Any suggestions?
Growley

Re: RPM for turning Lucite/Acrylic

Post by Growley »

Not sure what RPM, but turn very slow and sharp. I've had the best luck with this method.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I turn lucite rod at about 1250, and sharp is the key. I am also cutting with a 3/8" gouge and not a machine tool, so bear that in mind.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Sas you forgot to mention how you end up picking shards of hard plastic outta your face for weeks to come.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just don't find it that bad. It's not super fun and you can't peel it out in big 1/8" deep peels like you could ebonite, but if you move slowly, it cuts. One thing I do is knock the sharp square corners off on the sander before putting the piece on the lathe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

You can also use a hole saw of various diameters to knock off the edges of the square acrylic rod while on the lathe. Being round also helps insure the rod is centered when you flip it around in the chuck. Just do the same from the other side then start your drilling.

I will say I've had to experiment quite a good bit with different speeds for acrylic rods. The sound it makes when chunks come flying off startles me every time. :lol:

I occasionally wet the rod to keep it cool. I've had less trouble since starting that. Of course that may ultimately be a useless step but it's been working as far as experimentation goes.

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

I have had the best luck at low speeds and VERY sharp. I turned it at 800 and 1250 and 800 worked better for me. Try not to take too deep of a cut - it is much harder to cut than ebonite and briar. I am using a wood lathe to cut it. I don't recommend using a parting tool. I had the best luck with a gouges and a skew.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis