Stem Inlays

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
RadDavis

Re: Stem Inlays

Post by RadDavis »

I don't know why the wood lathe users are so defensive about using the inferior machine. :twisted:

Metal lathes offer precision that is not obtainable on a wood lathe. Sure, wood lathe can suffice, and if that's what you have, then go for it.

Please don't try to convince everyone that a wood lathe is "just as good", because it ain't. :wink:

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't think I did call you "Eddy Baby".

Did I call him "Eddy Baby"?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
potholer

Post by potholer »

"Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition" :shock:

regards

dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
the rev

Post by the rev »

I started in the trades as a drywall pick up man. What that means is I would find all the little nicks and dings and patches before paint and fix them, and the ones that happened after paint as well. As part of my job, I had to become an expert in texture matching. I learned to use a "mason gun" which is a pump action manual spray gun, I learned to use a hopper which is the big top fill thing you can buy at home depot, and I learned to use a binks cup and gun. Now the truth is really simple, because I became very skilled, I could match just about any texture with any tool. But the very simple fact was the binks gun was ten times faster, way less messy, and more precise. So I could use the other tools... but why would I want to? People may ask now, aren't you glad you learned how to use those other tools? You now have a superior set of skills. Nope, I wish I would have gotten my compressor and binks gun first day on the job, I would have been faster, and better at the one tool I would keep using til I stopped working drywall

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This is absolutely a perfect analogy, Rev.

The OP was wondering how to do this on a budget, can it be done, etc. The answer is, "Yes, it can be done a number of ways."

There's no question that if you want to cut a flat, circular ring of something that a metal lathe is the tool. I do not live under the misapprehension that a wood lathe is as fast or accurate for this kind of... well, machining.

But there's a dozen ways to do it without one, and that's really what I was pushing at. If I get to push some buttons at the same time, all the better. The OP could have a metal lathe and it wouldn't help at all to answer his question - where do I get this stuff, how I do make it?
heri

Post by heri »

I think heres pretty well explained what you want to know, i case you havent found it yet.
Also there are few other tips on his site.

http://emathiaspipes.com/?id=pipemaking,1,3
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

This may be a silly question but I'll ask it anyway. Couldn't the rings be attached to the shank rather than the stem? This could eliminate the need for a long tenon and the rings and shank could be drilled and turned as one unit. Or is the glue or epoxy taste the reason the rings are attached to the stem?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You can definitely put whatever you want on the shank.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

AlfaDog wrote:This may be a silly question but I'll ask it anyway. Couldn't the rings be attached to the shank rather than the stem? This could eliminate the need for a long tenon and the rings and shank could be drilled and turned as one unit. Or is the glue or epoxy taste the reason the rings are attached to the stem?
You can put whatever you want on the shank, like the Squatch says, but some of that material can be stretchy and will develop a loose fit for your tenon. The more briar you have holding on to your tenon, the better.

Rad
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Personally I will be using Delrin but the rings on shank solution seemed to me to solve RAlan's problems using the equipment he already has. I'll be using an old Rockwell/Delta wood lathe that's about six feet long and heavy as hell but that's what my father had for furniture making and that's what I'll be using because it's already in my shop. I already know how to use it. All I needed were new chucks and jaws and I'll be throwing chips in a couple of weeks. I've thought of using pennies for a couple of rings cause they're a dime a dozen........Hmm......wait a minute....damn sliderule.
taharris

Post by taharris »

RadDavis wrote:
AlfaDog wrote:This may be a silly question but I'll ask it anyway. Couldn't the rings be attached to the shank rather than the stem? This could eliminate the need for a long tenon and the rings and shank could be drilled and turned as one unit. Or is the glue or epoxy taste the reason the rings are attached to the stem?
You can put whatever you want on the shank, like the Squatch says, but some of that material can be stretchy and will develop a loose fit for your tenon. The more briar you have holding on to your tenon, the better.

Rad
Also, if you use other exotic woods as rings they have a nasty tendency to crack when fitting the tenon (even with Derlin). They just don't have the same stability as Briar burl (likely because the grain in the burl is a lot more twisted.)

Todd
rx2man

Post by rx2man »

What Sas means to say is "I'm kinda like the guy who used his poo to make a painting. I'm an artist, not a machinist." :fencing:

Having worked in prisons for a while you can do a lot of things with poo.......chess sets for one, tootsie rolls that if you are really crazy you then eat. Also good for face painting, had a guy that was on suicide watch and wanted a book. Was denied so he wiped poo all over his face had a really cool reverse racoon mask thing going on. He got his book. Sorry old post just could not pass this up. I got broke in the prison and am now an aspiring pipe maker......some things you just cant forget.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I love you guys, but lets be exact on our machinist lathe, for our hand made pipe inlay? I had facing hammers in the 60s.I would say wood lathes breath soul into a pipe.Quit picking on SAS,at least he knows the right way and 50 other ways to do the job right.I have a metal lathe,I use it for metal, and when I want to make semi hand made pipes I'll switch to that and be come a small factory.SaS can bring the milling machine. :tongue:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I love old posts,they are cathartic,lots of B.S. in them.