Button Dimensions

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
The Smoking Yeti

Button Dimensions

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

This is a question for ya'll with a more established process- what're your button dimensions aprox.?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Massis

Re: Button Dimensions

Post by Massis »

I find 12mm to be ideal to keep my pants closed...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
To answer your question - and I by no means have such a thing as "an established process" -, I try to keep the button <6mm, the bit <4mm and general width of the button is usually somewhere around 18mm, sometimes if the pipe needs it a bit smaller down to 16mm. Even though I don't really use digital calipers, I just eyeball it and see how it feels...
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Massis wrote:I just eyeball it and see how it feels...
This. As I've been refining the design of my buttons, I've been comparing to some of the high end pipes that I own, which has helped immensely. For me personally, I can't comfortably clench a button that is wider than 3/4" so none of mine are wider than that.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Massis

Post by Massis »

UberHuberMan wrote:I've been comparing to some of the high end pipes that I own, which has helped immensely.
Second that! I only own one more expensive pipe - a winslow - but it is so very comfortable that I often refer to it when shaping my own stems!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

This is how I do it, but this is totally subjective:
.640" wide
.260" Tall
.095" Long (the thickness of the button from front to back [Legend for Tyler and Wayne: "front" = back])
.145" behind the button

Behind the button is the one I'm most concerned with, and I rarely deviate by more than .005". Other than that I shoot for within .01". I don't like my slot to be taller than .065"-ish; it starts to look sloppy (to me).

I think what's more important is finding a size you like (and style for the slot/button) and sticking to it.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I've posted this several times here, but it's always good to post it again. It has some great information on this exact topic. Your browser will most likely have to translate it though.

Check it out: http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm
andrew

Post by andrew »

e Markle wrote:This is how I do it, but this is totally subjective:
.640" wide
.260" Tall
.095" Long (the thickness of the button from front to back [Legend for Tyler and Wayne: "front" = back])
.145" behind the button

Behind the button is the one I'm most concerned with, and I rarely deviate by more than .005". Other than that I shoot for within .01". I don't like my slot to be taller than .065"-ish; it starts to look sloppy (to me).

I think what's more important is finding a size you like (and style for the slot/button) and sticking to it.
Geez. I would have saved myself some grief if someone had explained that front/back thing this clearly a couple years ago. Ernie, where were you!