Japanese Ebonite Part Duex

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
oklahoma red

Japanese Ebonite Part Duex

Post by oklahoma red »

From my post on the 7th:
"Well, I''m going to find out for myself if the Nikko material is any good. On Jos's recommendation I ordered 4 rods, 20mm dia, 1 meter long. Transaction was a breeze via PayPal.
If the stuff is any good it is an absolute bargain in comparison to the German SEM and NYH. Each rod was $20.61 (FOR A METER!!!!) and the shipping was $45.81 via Japan Post Express Mail Service. 25mm is also available for $42.37 a meter. Still a huge bargain. 20mm suits my needs.
Now, we'll see if I get socked with a fat import duty.
If it doesn't pan out I'll make pens or billy clubs out of it."

Step one is complete. I placed the order on the 7th and it arrived Saturday the 12th. Japan Express Mail Service is on the ball! Best of all, NO DUTY!
Step two will be to make a stem. This might take a bit as I have to work for a living but I will report. If the outside is any indication it should be good. The rods have been centerless ground to a smooth finish. You never know tho, it could be like briar, surprises could await on the inside.
Chas.
caskwith

Re: Japanese Ebonite Part Duex

Post by caskwith »

is it only available in black?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Chris,
I have not inquired about other colors or cumberland types. Mr. Tomohisa Endo communicates in the Queen's English so fire him a rocket and see what's available.
info@nikkoebonite.com
Chas.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Hurry up and make a stem please.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I'll try to start hacking on one tonight if Mommy will let me go out and play.
Chas.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Mommy let me play for a few minutes. I didn't actually make a complete stem. I cut a short piece off and the first thing I noticed was that it doesn't stink as bad as the German rods. Less sulfur in the mix perhaps? I faced off one end and drilled and tapped it for a Delrin tenon. No surprises there. I then sanded the other end at a 45 degree angle all the way across and finish-sanded the cut then polished it to the point I could see myself in it. No inclusions like the American Art Plastics rods. Looks like good stuff gents.
One can buy just a single 1 meter rod if you wish. My advice would be to get a piece and try it and see if it fits in with the way you do things.
Chas.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Did you bend it by chance? That would be another concern.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Growley wrote:Did you bend it by chance? That would be another concern.
No, not yet. I have plans to start another pipe this weekend and it will require a bend. I'll let you know but I see no reason so far that it won't be just fine.
Chas.
the rev

Post by the rev »

ok, I am getting read to order some, please give me a report.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Well, I got started on a pipe but honey-do projects got in the way. I drilled a block and got some rough shaping done and drilled a piece of the ebonite to get it started, installed a threaded Delrin tenon and that's as far as I got. I'm in the middle of a lot of refurbishing on my house and that is unfortunately cutting into pipe-time. Must keep the better half happy.
I have seen nothing so far that has raised any red flags.
I wouldn't order a train car load by any means. Mr. Endo will sell one meter. I can only say get a stick or two and try it and see if it fits into your process.
My thought is that if the Japanese pipe makers are using it (and there are some salty ones in Japan to be sure) and if they were not happy then any dissatisfaction would surely come to surface. The Japanese are fanatical about quality these days. Something the Red Menace has yet to learn. Also you will recall that Jos is using it and reports no problems.
Nikko is making a direct effort to market the product for usage as stems. If a company is going to do that then they had better be ready.
I WILL report later with pics tho at the rate I'm going you may beat me to it.
Chas.
snapper-G

Post by snapper-G »

I ordered three one meter rods from Nikko, 25 mm each, delivered within 10 days from Japan for a total of $135. I just cut one piece off last evening and put it on the lathe. It works like a dream and, though I haven't polished it up yet, it appears to be free of any defects. I'm pretty new to this pipe making stuff and I've been hacking away, literally, on acrylic rods for stems. After turning ebonite, I don't think I'll ever go back to acrylic.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Hey guys,
I would not recommend this stuff for established makers. It's fine for beginners, but it has a distinct pattern in it. Someone sent me a sample, and it works well enough, didn't have any inclusions or bubbles, but it does have a streaky, black-on-black cumberland look to it. See below.

Again, this is absolutely fine for beginners, and I'd even encourage them to use it since it will save you money. For the rest, I would avoid it.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Ernie, I like the "minimalist" approach to the bit, ...but I think you should at least put a hole in it. :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and post on it. I appreciate the insights!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Growley wrote:Ernie, I like the "minimalist" approach to the bit, ...but I think you should at least put a hole in it. :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and post on it. I appreciate the insights!

I'm freehand drilling my stems now. It's all the rage.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Hmmm, interesting. I did not see that in the piece I cross cut and polished. I still haven't completed a stem yet so I'll reserve final judgement until I do.
Jos, if you are out there, have you seen ANY issues with it?
Chas.
the rev

Post by the rev »

so wish you would have posted that an hour ago

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

e Markle wrote:
Growley wrote:Ernie, I like the "minimalist" approach to the bit, ...but I think you should at least put a hole in it. :lol:

Wait, did you say freehand drilling your stems?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Hmm interesting. Wouldn't mind a sample to test myself. Maybe the swirly nature could be a feature as long as you made sure the customer knew?
andrew

Post by andrew »

e Markle wrote:

Man. I'm so behind the times. I don't think my lathe could handle that. It's from 1950 something.
Jos

Post by Jos »

oklahoma red wrote:Jos, if you are out there, have you seen ANY issues with it?
Chas.
No, actually not, up to now. Tommi, to whom I gave two of my rods, reported few minor inclusions in one of these.
I've heard about problems like that in rods of other makes, too (had a NYH rod once, that consisted mainly of sulfur, for example) - seems to be in the nature of the stuff, that now and then a rod turns out bad, or at least less good. Pipemaker's fate, I guess ...

Jens